To be or not to be broody

PeaFan

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
My peahen has 12 eggs in her nest, yesterday she sat on them all day and then came out to eat. She then decided to roost outside with the male for the night.
Is there some kind of pattern they go through when going broody? Did she decide she didn’t like sitting on the nest all day? Also, because she sat on the eggs all day and then left them- does that somehow make the eggs no good anymore?
This is the first interest she has shown in her eggs in the 3 yrs I have had her. She is only 4 yrs old.
Thanks for any insight!

I'm kinda late. I suspect you've already figured out what she's doing.

With chickens (and so probably also with peafowl), this is usually the pattern. They go broody, they set for a day, they skip a night, then they lay an egg the next morning and set faithfully afterwards. Chicken eggs (and goose and duck) can suspend development for the first three or so days.

I've got a duck right now who's thinking about her nest. She has eight eggs, and she keeps setting on them for four or so hours every day. She won't fully set until she has thirteen or fourteen. Hatch rates are good, so I won't argue with her.

Your hen's probably back on the nest at this point, and not leaving.

Back
Top Bottom