To Keep my Rooster or not...

He's become a menace, and need to be gone, as dinner, or at least with full disclosure to someone else. I won't have an attack bird here, and there's always some excuse or other, but that's what they are, excuses.
This year, raise some chicks, have the cockerels out there with your hens, and see if one of the new boys turns out better.
I love having roosters, but only nice ones!!!
With small children around, waiting another couple of years isn't a bad idea either.
Mary
Mary, thanks for your advice. I do not plan to increase my flock this year since my current pullets are only 10 months old but I do plan to raise some chicks a couple years down the road. Your comment regarding the presence of small children was spot on. I want my grandchildren to be safe and to be able to interact with and help care for the flock which is something they cannot do presently.

With all livestock boundaries need to be set for children and visitors. Having intact males or anything is dangerous on a farm.
I don't think he is a bad Rooster. He is a cautious Rooster. That being said you need to decide if he stays and rules change or he is gone?

Oh dear, here we go again..........
@MarmaladeSings
By your own admission you have an excellent rooster. Apparently your actions frightened him and he reacted as roosters do.
Sure, listen to the advice above if you must but please, don't get another rooster hoping for a better outcome.

Oh dear, here we go again..........
@MarmaladeSings
By your own admission you have an excellent rooster. Apparently your actions frightened him and he reacted as roosters do.
Sure, listen to the advice above if you must but please, don't get another rooster hoping for a better outcome.
Yes, I have done quite a bit of reading regarding rooster behavior and I think Bob's actions were very natural for a rooster intent on protecting his females. I do, however, think that for my situation a rooster-less scenario would be best. I am interested to see how the females adapt and have no plans to acquire a replacement rooster in the foreseeable future.

With all livestock boundaries need to be set for children and visitors. Having intact males or anything is dangerous on a farm.
I don't think he is a bad Rooster. He is a cautious Rooster. That being said you need to decide if he stays and rules change or he is gone?
I agree that he is not a "bad" rooster. He was just protecting the females. I am going to re-home him to a flock where he can utilize his attributes.

Good decision to remove him. Since you have energetic grandchildren visiting, that is my reason for you to remove him. Why should your grandchildren develop a fear or dislike of chickens bc grandma had a mean rooster? Irregardless of why the rooster acted that way, he would still be a “mean rooster” in the eyes of a child and in the memory of the kids as they grow up.

Good decision to remove him. Since you have energetic grandchildren visiting, that is my reason for you to remove him. Why should your grandchildren develop a fear or dislike of chickens bc grandma had a mean rooster? Irregardless of why the rooster acted that way, he would still be a “mean rooster” in the eyes of a child and in the memory of the kids as they grow up.
As it is, I am the only person who goes into the chicken pasture. I know my husband and grandchildren would love to help feed and collect eggs but it is not safe for them to do so. I realized, although he is doing a fantastic job with the hen, Bob is interfering with my enjoyment of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom