To many roos which one to keep?

packer fan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Boy do we know how to pick them.

My kids and I started our first flock as a family this last April and though I have raised chickens as a child it's been so many years I have forgotten many things. This sight has been a help. Thank you to all.

We as a family have purchased pullets so we thought and found out that at least four of our 23 strong flock are roos; now, what to do with them. I want to keep one roo for breading but not sure which one to keep.

I have a mixed flock. I have Production Reds (two are roos), Australorps (one is a roo), Wyandottes, Barred Rock, a Black Star, a New Hampshire Red, a Silky Bantam, Red Star, Ameraucana, and a Polish Bantam (roo).

Now, I'm going to keep the Bantam roo and one Production Red roo will be gone, so that eliminates two, but which is a better roo to keep a Production Red or an Australorp? I want to keep them for breeding only so that I can replenish my flock as I want to keep the older flock for egg laying the younger for meat.

I know in a few years as the birds begin to cross bread I'll have a mutt flock but I don't care because I'm not going to sell them just eat and have eggs.

Give me your opinion and why of which roo I should keep, or should I just get rid of them all (save the Bantam)?

Last edited:
Thank for the advice.

I gave my Production Red roo to friends that needed a good roster and kept my Australorp.

My flock is much calmer now that the Production Red is gone; before, the Production Red would stalk each chicken especially my Polish Bantam.

My big Australorp and my Bantam Polish roo's are buddies as much as roo's can be. The flock is much calmer.

Back
Top Bottom