To rid ducks of extremely small black bugs (mites?)

Can't wait! Since I got the 2 girls (from a farmer who decided he did not like ducks) one has been ragged (wet feather) and I was actually thinking I might have lost this little one over the winter. She was also very dingy. The other two kept her warm even on nights when she went into the coop damp. The other hen is bright white like our drake friend but now ragged and needs the new feathers.

I would think with so much missing that they couldn't fly but I saw the little one take off from the embankment that is my neighbor's driveway (right on the property line - when my neighbor came down and scared her) to fly across the brook and up onto the brook bank. I think that was a good lesson for her! She's still getting to know boundaries but for the most part sticks close to home. Funny thing is the little one is the feisty one, more inclined to wander.

Funny thing happened a week ago when a wild mostly black with iridescent colors on the wings (she was a bit of a distance from me - hard to tell) flew into the yard and the two (larger then her) hens ran up and frightened the begeebees out of her! She took off (practically straight up like a helicopter) and flew so beautifully across the driveway into the swamp next door. I don't think she'll be back. Meanwhile the drake just watched this 4 minute drama from across the yard, apparently not interested, as the girls took charge.

Oh yes they are feisty but here the Runners are bullies to them so for most of the day I keep the scovy separate from the runners and buffs, plus the Runner drake thinks it's a whole lot of fun chasing the scovy down and standing on them.

LOL! Such fun! I didn't know that about runners but then I could see how a lower duck could be intimidated by the height and speed. My scovy are not usually very fast but I have seen mine go top speed (after that wild duck) and literally heard the drake's feet hitting the hardpack in the driveway.

Just my drake seems to get cranky but he really is super curious and friendly with people who come into the yard. The little girl is afraid of me (has been since day one) and really all humans and sometimes difficult to get in the coop. She is the one that needs to learn the hard way. The other is as sweet as she can be and calm, clean and very pretty. The second after she gets mated, she can't run fast enough to the tub to take a splashing bath! They are SO different!

Back
Top Bottom