Toby in texas

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone! It’s been about a week and a half since I posted and I wanted to give an update in case anyone was interested.
We still have Toby our line gosling we brought home from feed store who was always on his back. A member had sent a link about helping splayed legs so I made a ‘hobble’ using vetwrap and it took him a while but now he can walk! Don’t know if it’s from the hobble or TLC, time to mature and the vitamins that seemed to help. All I know is that even though it’s not perfect we are so pleased he can walk. We did take him to a local vet who sees ducks but the visit wasn’t as informative as we liked. She did take X-rays but really couldn’t tell if anything was off. I left the vet with some vit b injections to give Toby. Ironically a few days later I was looking over him watching while he ate and was observing his back. His right hip was very noticeably bigger. Don’t know why the vet couldn’t see this. I took a pic so if anyone has any ideas of what may be going on with this please share your thoughts or opinions. We did get another gosling for his company and some ducks that was not really planned. (A funny story for later!) took a few days but aside from a few hiccups they are all getting along great so far!

Attachments

• C2F4DDAA-F3A2-47D1-A2FF-1408DCC06764.jpeg
    C2F4DDAA-F3A2-47D1-A2FF-1408DCC06764.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 3
  • 0230B865-6B7F-41D5-BCF4-27E0EC931D77.jpeg
    0230B865-6B7F-41D5-BCF4-27E0EC931D77.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 2
  • 79617E3B-A0B6-480A-911E-5D5194E649F1.jpeg
    79617E3B-A0B6-480A-911E-5D5194E649F1.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 2
Toby is adorable. Did the vet give him an examination? seems she would have felt or noticed any abnormality with him being so little. If you gently move the leg back and forth can you hear or feel any popping ? Like the hip maybe popping out of socket? A video of him walking would be a good idea.

Toby is adorable. Did the vet give him an examination? seems she would have felt or noticed any abnormality with him being so little. If you gently move the leg back and forth can you hear or feel any popping ? Like the hip maybe popping out of socket? A video of him walking would be a good idea.
Hi
I’m not sure what all the vet did to exam him. My husband took him for me. I know everyone went nuts over him at the vet! My husband did say they took X-rays but not sure why she couldn’t tell anything. I will see if we can hear a popping sound and try to do a video. Wasn’t sure we could post one. One thing I forgot to mention is that he has taken to like over preening himself in same areas particularly one wing. Giving himself bald spots. He (or she) (we haven’t checked for his gender yet) is about 3 weeks old now. We got him when he was 3 days old. Will try to send video and maybe show what’s going on better. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom