Too cold tonight for broody mom who adopted 3 3 day old chicks today?

They don't eat or drink during the night so having no food or water until dawn is not an issue. She could have stayed out there and you could have brought their food and water to them at dawn. Give it a try the next time it's going below freezing. Trust me. They'll be fine.

I had a hen hatch out 8 chicks in early April and when they were less than a week old we got a snow storm and had 4" on the ground with night time temps in the high teens/low twenties for a few days. Everyone was fine and dandy.
Thanks for the reassurance. It will be 16 tonight (where is this cold coming from?) and 26 tomorrow night. since she’s already inside I’ll likely keep her there until Tuesday then pop them back into the quarantine cage, temps will be down to around freezing but not crazy after that into April and they should be ok. I hope. I’m trying to be trusting.

Thanks for the reassurance. It will be 16 tonight (where is this cold coming from?) and 26 tomorrow night. since she’s already inside I’ll likely keep her there until Tuesday then pop them back into the quarantine cage, temps will be down to around freezing but not crazy after that into April and they should be ok. I hope. I’m trying to be trusting.
Just popped in and read this thread. I too, just grafted chicks to a new broody Silkie mama. Not as cold here, but I would’ve done all these same steps due to no electricity for a water warmer for them.

It’s very nice to learn that they do just fine out there in those temps; Makes me adore my chickens even more! They are amazing animals!! Ever cease to amaze me…watching these chicks with mama has made my heart grow like 3 sizes!! LOL!😉

Just popped in and read this thread. I too, just grafted chicks to a new broody Silkie mama. Not as cold here, but I would’ve done all these same steps due to no electricity for a water warmer for them.

It’s very nice to learn that they do just fine out there in those temps; Makes me adore my chickens even more! They are amazing animals!! Ever cease to amaze me…watching these chicks with mama has made my heart grow like 3 sizes!! LOL!😉
I know- they are so cute! Mine are still doing well, our nights get down to mid 30’s occasionally but when it’s cold mama has them hunkered down. I built a berm of bedding outside their cage to block any drafts just in case. (They are under the poop board counter in a pen). I let them out to the full coop and sometimes run during the day but I’m having to manage “hawk watch”; babies haven’t been outside yet because of this but they do well in the big coop (16x16’) and the run (16x8’) which are both solidly predator proof. They also met the rest of the chickens and have had no issues. Mama chases some away but ignores others, I can’t figure out why but I guess maybe according to pecking order? Other hens (who have all never seen babies) are all just ignoring the babies and we have had no issues. Good luck to you and your babies!

I know- they are so cute! Mine are still doing well, our nights get down to mid 30’s occasionally but when it’s cold mama has them hunkered down. I built a berm of bedding outside their cage to block any drafts just in case. (They are under the poop board counter in a pen). I let them out to the full coop and sometimes run during the day but I’m having to manage “hawk watch”; babies haven’t been outside yet because of this but they do well in the big coop (16x16’) and the run (16x8’) which are both solidly predator proof. They also met the rest of the chickens and have had no issues. Mama chases some away but ignores others, I can’t figure out why but I guess maybe according to pecking order? Other hens (who have all never seen babies) are all just ignoring the babies and we have had no issues. Good luck to you and your babies!
Oh this is good to know! Our next step is opening up our handmade postpartum nesting box/suite & letting them out into the community area coop with all the ladies. I’ve read, for the most part, the other chickens will just ignore the chicks. This is my hope and as it sounds, is what you’re experiencing as well. Yay! 😀 I’ve got plenty of things out and spaces made where they can gather on their own or hide from others if need be as well. I actually found a few cute things by searching the rabbit and hamster playhouse dept on Amazon. They will grow out of these things quick, likely in a few weeks, but it’s cheap enough stuff that it’s really worth it, plus I’ll always have this stuff in my arsenal for another time. LOL!😉

Miss the chicks for me! 😘🐣♥️

Back
Top Bottom