Too few chicks

JustAFarmer00

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2022
A few days ago, a friend gave me 4 eggs to hatch. I candled the eggs on day 7, 10, 14, and 18 and I have been closely monitoring their development. I believe 2 of the embryos quit development, because the insides of the egg seemed to move around when rotated and closer to day 18 they were not dark like the other 2. It is now day 22 and the first chick pipped and hatched just a little bit ago, but I am starting to get concerned because I know chickens prefer to be raised together. It is my understanding that chicks should be raised in groups of at least 4, would it be my best course of action to purchase a few more chicks from a local tractor supply if only the one or maybe two hatch?

A few days ago, a friend gave me 4 eggs to hatch. I candled the eggs on day 7, 10, 14, and 18 and I have been closely monitoring their development. I believe 2 of the embryos quit development, because the insides of the egg seemed to move around when rotated and closer to day 18 they were not dark like the other 2. It is now day 22 and the first chick pipped and hatched just a little bit ago, but I am starting to get concerned because I know chickens prefer to be raised together. It is my understanding that chicks should be raised in groups of at least 4, would it be my best course of action to purchase a few more chicks from a local tractor supply if only the one or maybe two hatch?
Yes, purchasing more chicks would be the best course of action. Tho raising two chicks together is ok, one is not ok, and the more the merrier! My best wishes to you, and we always love pictures!

If only one hatched, then that’s probably the best option

Yes, purchasing more chicks would be the best course of action. Tho raising two chicks together is ok, one is not ok, and the more the merrier! My best wishes to you, and we always love pictures!
Noted, I don’t see why the second wouldn’t hatch, just be extra prepared. Also here are the pictures I have!!

Attachments

• IMG_2947.jpeg
    IMG_2947.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8064.jpeg
    IMG_8064.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 2
Noted, I don’t see why the second wouldn’t hatch, just be extra prepared. Also here are the pictures I have!!
Ooo, so adorable!! What breeds? Yes, raising two usually is just fine, but it’s best if they can go to a bigger flock when they are older (at least 3-4)

i raised a single chick recently .. it was an experience .. she's a big weirdo, but loveable .. at +10weeks ive finally got her roosting in the coop, but she still follows me around when im out there and peeps like a little chick .. i 'think' its a she anyway haha .. thats a mighty hefty comb lol .. we'll see ...

Attachments

• 20230426_112954.jpg
    20230426_112954.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230301_211434.jpg
    20230301_211434.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230216_194721.jpg
    20230216_194721.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 2
You can raise a single chick alone. It doesn't cripple its social behavior or health.

I've done it, you just need to keep it warm and have a hand mirror in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom