Too Many Drakes

bugheadmomma

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
I think I have too many drakes. My mother decided to gift me four ducklings four weeks ago. Two Pekin, two Rouen. She had no idea the gender mattered and the man she purchased them from at Tractor S told her they were most likely girls, but they couldn’t be sure. She just believed him and told me they were females, but at 4 weeks old I have three raspy sounding ducks and one that honks. I also have three one week old white and fawn runner females in my house since they’re so small.
I don’t know what to do or when to do it. I love my four bigger ducks. I also live in the middle of nowhere so no one is going to want one of the drakes and I’m not going to kill any of them. So, I’ve read many posts and understand I’m going to need more females, but I’m wondering WHEN I will need more females. I can’t afford to buy 8-10 more females right now. I also don’t know if my one acre can feasibly contain that many more ducks. So, how long will it be until this becomes a big issue? Has anyone found any solutions other than more females?

Before they reach breeding age you’ll either need more females or you’ll need to set up 2 pens one for the drakes and one for the females because that many drakes 3 to 1 is going to be dangerous for your female. Many have a drake pen. Your Runners if you have females are going to be light weight and having a Pekin or Rouen drakes mating them may cause injuries. Breeding age usually begins around 4 months depending on the breed. My Runners were mating at 4 months and laying at 4.5 months old. Best ratio is 3 ducks up for each drake.

I wouldn't write off the idea that no one will want them. Sometimes ducks can be hard to come by.
My mom had 6 drakes to rehome of varying breeds and was all upset because she assumed no one would want them. I encouraged her to put them online and she had three inquiries within 15 minutes. She got rid of them all the same day.
It's worth a try.

My parents live next door to me. We each have a chainlink fence. Do you think the drakes could safely live in her yard? And the ducks in mine? They’d still be able to see one another, but not touch one another. She just offered to keep the drakes and I’ve read a group of drakes could be a happy bundle, but they could see the females, so I’m worried. Any of you know how this might work?

Before they reach breeding age you’ll either need more females or you’ll need to set up 2 pens one for the drakes and one for the females because that many drakes 3 to 1 is going to be dangerous for your female. Many have a drake pen. Your Runners if you have females are going to be light weight and having a Pekin or Rouen drakes mating them may cause injuries. Breeding age usually begins around 4 months depending on the breed. My Runners were mating at 4 months and laying at 4.5 months old. Best ratio is 3 ducks up for each drake.
All my runners are female. I bought them from a different place. So I have two Pekin males (4 weeks old), one Rouen male (4 weeks old), one Rouen female (4 weeks old), and three white and fawn runner females (one week old). So, it will eventually be 3 males to 4 females. I think my yard could feasibly hold another 3 females. Which would make it 2 females to each drake. I don’t know if that could ever work though.

I wouldn't write off the idea that no one will want them. Sometimes ducks can be hard to come by.
My mom had 6 drakes to rehome of varying breeds and was all upset because she assumed no one would want them. I encouraged her to put them online and she had three inquiries within 15 minutes. She got rid of them all the same day.
It's worth a try.
My parents have offered to take all my drakes, but they live next door. I’m worried the drakes won’t be happy because they’ll still be able to see the females without getting to touch them. Do you know if that would cause a lot of issues?

My parents have offered to take all my drakes, but they live next door. I’m worried the drakes won’t be happy because they’ll still be able to see the females without getting to touch them. Do you know if that would cause a lot of issues?
It helps when keeping boy-only flocks if they can't see the females.
But every drake is an individual and it may work out just fine. If you're really against trying to find them a new home, it's certainly worth a shot.
You mentioned the fence is chain link? If the boys decide to fence fight, those gaps are large enough for them to put their heads through and grab ahold of each other

The problem with the male to female ratios is that the drakes don't necessarily follow the rules, as I learned this spring when five drakes descended on one duck despite all the other females to be had. They ripped her head up and scratched her eye and that was the end of them. It was sad to see them go, but I have one drake to nine ducks now, no one is being over-mated and everyone is happy. They have several acres to free range so, in this case, space wasn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom