Too many flies

Chicken37

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Near Austin TX
There are a tremendous amount of flies in our chicken run this summer, when I look down I see hundreds of little specks in the hay, flying through the air, and swarming their food. Any tips?

Without knowing your setup in your run it's hard to say what might help in your situation. For myself, I use deep litter in a covered run (so it stays really dry) and make sure it gets turned regularly so the poop ends up being covered. I add in a little extra on the top if I notice it's getting dirty or broken down at all. Clean it out once a year. I use wood chips, dried grass clippings, leaves, long pine tree needles that are dropped - whatever is available seasonally that is cheap or free. The compost pile where the poop tray from the coop gets cleaned out daily is no where near the run. That seems to keep the flies to a minimum.

I use these in my run: https://a.co/d/av6lYv1
Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 7.30.59 AM.png

There are a tremendous amount of flies in our chicken run this summer, when I look down I see hundreds of little specks in the hay, flying through the air, and swarming their food. Any tips?
Get rid of the hay?
Are they like house flies or some other insect that flies?

It's best to have fly traps AWAY from areas you want to protect, as the traps actually attract those flies. Attract them elsewhere, not where you don't want to see them!
Dry bedding is better than wet, so if your run is dirt, not bedding, or wet, flies love those conditions.
At my coop I use those spruce tree shaped vanilla scented hanging thingies, can't remember the brand name, and they really do keep flies away! I saw this recommended years ago here, and it works! Not hanging inside, but at doorways, so the scent isn't overwhelming.
And the Spalding fly predators also work well, look them up.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom