Total Newbie Chicken Lady in the making and need some input on breeds

Aviphotos

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Fay, OK
We are in the planning stages of moving to our family's property in NW Oklahoma and one of the first homesteading animals we want to start is chickens! I've been obsessing over the BYC website for a few days now and have found so much useful information. I've kind of narrowed down what I *think* I'm looking for but wanted to get some input and validation :)

We are looking for chickens that will be dual purpose, able to handle hot and cold temps as it can get in the low 100s in summer and occasionally below 0 in winter. I'd like for our homestead to be as self-sufficient as possible, so looking for breeds that will reproduce well with broody tendancies. We will be building a coop/run before our home actually gets built (we are putting a mobile home on the property while we build our dream house and want to start our starter animals as soon as we get there). We also want birds that free range well as we have quite a large property. We do have predators (coyote, skunk, hawk, owl, etc) and we will be setting up accordingly for protection.

So far I'm very drawn to the Australorp breed, but also would love some variety in our flock. I love the idea of Easter Eggers for the variety in egg colors. And I like the look of the Barred Rock or Dominique. Are these good choices for our climate and needs?

What kind of roo should I get with a mixed flock like this? I'm not so concerned about having purebreed chicks, more interested in successful dual purpose birds in successive generations. We don't need a huge egg production (there are only 3 of us living there full time with a college kid that is home on breaks) although I wouldn't mind selling the extras to make some small income off our farm adventure. We do want to raise enough meat birds to be able to provide food for our family. We will also be starting some rabbits for the same purpose for variety in meat. Bigger animals are down the road :)

Also, on the breeding side, if I get an Australorp roo and it mates with the EE hens, will the resulting hatched hens lay the colorful eggs, or will the BA gene cause them to lay brown eggs? Not a big concern, just curious!

If anyone has any other tips for chicken raising in NW Ok, I'd love to hear it! Since we are totally new at this, I'll need all the help I can get!

Okay, first of all, Welcome to BYC! :)

I don't know a ton about OK so hopefully some more people stop by to say hey to ya. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

If you are interested in rabbits consider joining BYC's sister site: backyardherds.com There are tons of very knowledgeable rabbit folks over there who would be more than willing to help you with any questions you might have.

Hopefully this was helpful and you find all the information you are looking for!
:)
~mw

http://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/?s=egg+shell+color&submit=Go
includes article on Araucana egg color genetics and article on egg color by breed of hen.

Folk like to buy dozen eggs with different colors. Here's how the egg color genetics goes.
1. you need a Marans or Welsummer cock to contribute the dark brown egg gene.
2. You need a hen which lays blue eggs., Araucana or Ameraucana.
3. you need a white egg layer.
From these two you can make all other colors of eggs.(see URL above).
Sounds like you have picked some good breeds.
So with about 4-5 breeds youc an sell rainbow dozen eggs with 2 eggs of each color in te 12. Those dark brown welsummer and marans eggs re real popular too. Some resturants brag they only use marans eggs. Might want to think of some rosecomb breeds as they don't frostbite the comb quite as much.
Also check out the building coops forum. Look for the Woods Fresh Air coop plans. Excellent for cold climes and helping prevent frostbite on combs due to the excellent ventalion flow thru they provide.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom