Toxic Spanish Bluebell Ingestion (but no sign of illness)

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a yard blanketed with beautiful Spanish Bluebell which is toxic to humans and animals (including chickens) when eaten. Well I have one-year old hens who are seeing it for the 1st time and I've seen them pecking and eating them fairly regularly!

Fortunately after about a week of this they've had no noticeable side effects (eating, drinking, active, pooping <which looks normal >, laying, etc.)

Does this mean that aren't eating enough for it to impact them and we should he ok even going forward? Or does it build up in their bodies and become fatally toxic all the sudden?

Also do you know if I bring in a poop sample to the vet to test, can they toxicity be detected?

Only way to keep them away from the plants is to keep them locked up for the next 6 months!

20230502_115721.jpg

I do not know much about Texas Bluebell, but most chickens have an ability to know what is good for them and what is bad. Many things are toxic to chickens and other animals, but it depends on how much they take as to how it will affect them. There are flushes available along with activated charcoal that may treat ingestion of poisons.

Edited to say, it is Mexican Bluebell, not Texas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom