???? Train to lay in nesting box

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I got my 2nd and 3rd egg this morning. I have 4 potential egg layers. I have 4 nest boxes with fresh pine shavings and golf balls (1 golf ball each) available but they are laying in the corner of the coop on the floor.
How do I get them to lay in the nest instead?

very early eggs are often on the floor, when they understand more, they'll seek out someplace that feels.... cozy, like a box, that encloses them somewhat. Also, try marking an X on an egg or two, (after you enjoy the early ones! YAY!!!) and leaving some eggs in them too along with the golf balls. I find that you don't have to do it in every box, just one or two. Also, I put a hen in a nest now and then, (assuming they're comfortable with being picked up) and placing one IN a nest, they usually shuffle around and seem to think about it a bit, maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't.. heh, who knows? They're bird brains!

I just had a first time layer act all weird this AM, almost sickly, but not really... Everyone left the coop as soon as I unlatched the door but her,,, I came back to check on her an hour or so later, and there was an egg on the floor and she was out with the rest. Mine normally use the nests, but I don't think she knew what was going on yet!

Quote:
And if they dont' get it, do I leave one of the eggs she lays in the nest box or is that inviting egg eating?
And how long can the egg stay in the nest box without going bad?
Sacramento, California temps, today was about 78 degrees high

i have 4 nest boxes for 7 hens, i used the golf ball method, and it worked, but all the hens like the same box. I actually had to pull 1 hen out of that box because there was already 2 in there and they were fighting. We are now going to build 1 big community box and see how that works.

I just let her lay her eggs on the floor because she refuses to conform. Some are box layers and some are not, but I get the eggs every day. Rarely are they broken. She makes a straw nest in the corner every time I clean out the coop. Chickens were laying eggs long before golf balls were made!!

true true... sometimes they just won't go along with it. I have one double-wide 'tray' on top, where I usually get 3 eggs everyday, and the lower left box has 3 or 4 more in it. //edit// that's out of 12 hens, 8 of which are pullets that have just started laying consistantly.
18203_nest_boxes.jpg

Last edited:
I lock them in the nest box. I use an old oven rack. It's open but they can't get out. I put her in the box in the morning and after she lays I open up the box and she exits when she wants to. Usually 2 days of this and she goes to the nest box after that.

I have a female EE that has been laying for 2 weeks - the only one of 15 chickens! She consistantly lays on the floor under the droppings board. A couple of older chicken owners tell me that when the other girls get on board, they will most likely discover the nests, and then my EE will probably think, Oh...that's what those boxes are for! Then I should expect her to get with the program...or not! We may just have floor layers.
roll.png

Quote:
Interesting idea. It's a golden penciled hamburg and they are not fond of being caged. I can try it if she persists after the others start to lay as well.
It would have to be on a weekend.

I was out building them a roost ladder this weekend and the chickens were all out free ranging. I was listening for any extra clucking etc. because she had not laid an egg yet that day. I was using a power drill in the coop and here she ran in and went straight to her corner where she had dug a nest.
I went outside and watched her. Took about 30 minutes, no sound at all.
I was very happy though that she wanted to come in to lay rather than make me look under all the bushes in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom