Training guinea fowl

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I purchased 28 guinea fowl in the fall. By the time the "getting to know their new coop" time had passed there was snow on the ground so they have spent their time divided into 2 coops and runs. I have sold most and am keeping 12 now in 1 run and coop. I have been using a whistle for training. When they hear the whistle, good things are coming and they have been responding.

I want to start letting them out in gradually increasing numbers. In order to make sure they return to the coop at night, should I do the whistle 'food coming thing' before dark. There are lots of trees by their area and I am concerned that if they perch up there in the evening, I won't be able to get them to come down.

I would be leaving food and water for those still confined to the run. Should I keep that door shut so that the free-rangers can't just come in for a snack and leave again.

Advice is appreciated as always. Thanks.

I purchased 28 guinea fowl in the fall. By the time the "getting to know their new coop" time had passed there was snow on the ground so they have spent their time divided into 2 coops and runs. I have sold most and am keeping 12 now in 1 run and coop. I have been using a whistle for training. When they hear the whistle, good things are coming and they have been responding.

I want to start letting them out in gradually increasing numbers. In order to make sure they return to the coop at night, should I do the whistle 'food coming thing' before dark. There are lots of trees by their area and I am concerned that if they perch up there in the evening, I won't be able to get them to come down.

I would be leaving food and water for those still confined to the run. Should I keep that door shut so that the free-rangers can't just come in for a snack and leave again.

Advice is appreciated as always. Thanks.
Definitely do your whistle before dark. Guineas don't like going into a dark place so it is important to get them into the coop before it starts getting dark.

I feed and water only in the coop and keep the coop entrance open during the daytime and closed at night.

Seems like you've got a good overall plan. When you start letting them out only let a portion of the flock out (no more than half). Start a couple of hours before dusk and then gradually give them more time out and a larger portion of the flock.

Guineas respond pretty well to being herded. Having a couple of sticks to extend your arm spread helps. Just make sure not to do any really sudden gestures as they'll panic. Eventually you can get them to respond with just gestures.

I second the keeping feeders and waters near where you want them to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom