Transforming old shed into coop

Zemeraire

Songster
Jan 17, 2020
South West Australia
So my landlord has given permission for me to use the old shed behind my house as a coop rather than building from scratch. Pretty good timing too as its getting very wet and stormy here over the last few days, so I have moved the little coop inside the shed for now to provide more shelter.

So I would love some input on what I should do with this shed. It needs a lot of work, patching up some rust holes in the roof for instance and putting wire in the big round hole in the door (intentional design choice from the guy who built the house). Here are some pictures of what I have to work with.

20200419_081000.jpg

20200419_081013.jpg

20200419_080943.jpg

The shed has multiple shelves already in it, a cement floor, and the door is north east ish facing. I have put the little coop under some shelves so that my girls can lean to jump up onto the shelves/perches. It was very wet yesterday and they just stood outside in the rain, so I really wanted to give them a more sheltered place to hang out. I have also moved the water into the shed as it has algae? growing in it. I refill it twice a day and yet it still looks filthy after a couple hours. I havent used this type of waterer before so i dont know whats going on there lol.

In addition, I have a solidified plan for my run. I made a mockup, so if anyone has input or sees any issues that would be great ^-^ The red lines are where I plan on putting fencing.

planned map of house.png

And here is a google street view of the property for comparison. Man I didn't get the scale right XD The area with the trees behind the shed is around 7m square, and is due to have several trees removed next week. The garden bed is very overgrown and I need to clear it out and refresh it before I can use it for its intended use.
satelite map.png

Hi! What did you end up coming up with? Are the girls in your refurbished shed/coop yet, or are you still working on it? Is the water still full of algae now that it’s out of the sun? :pop

Pea gravel would work great for the bottom of the shed. Plus when it gets dirty you can just hose it off.

They are in it but I'm still in progress. The water has settled but seems to be badly stained, I have tried scrubbing it but there is still a stain. Landlord still hasn't moved the cut branches so I can build the new fence either T-T.

Back
Top Bottom