Traumatised duckling and chicks

Itstartedwith6

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
last year we got our first flock of chickens everything went well, so this year we got two duckling and 3 more chicks. We have the little ones in the garage with a nice set up. This morning we woke to fined out our 4 year old snuck into the garage, and picked up one of the ducklings by its feet and it past,now the rest are unharmed, but the are vary scared (I don’t blame them) what can we do to calm them down and gain our trust again
We have looked into getting another duck however everyone is sold out.

I'm so so sorry for what happened. But I think you should put a lock on the door of the garage or/and on the brooder, so you can be more sure that it won't repeat. I know you said that all the ducklings were sold, but a lonely duck (even if there are the chickens) won't be as happy as having a friend of it's own specie. Maybe you can try asking some farmers near you or on Craigslist.
For the babies, try approaching them from the side of the brooder, and not from the top, chickens are preys and, for babies, a big hand coming from the sky is like a big hawk trying to catch them. So, from a side of the brooder, leave your hand laying still on the bedding and see if they try aproaching you instead. I don't know how old they are and if you are giving them chick grit, you can try putting them some treats they like on your hand (if they don't have grit don't give any treat, this may cause an impacted crop).

I'm so so sorry for what happened. But I think you should put a lock on the door of the garage or/and on the brooder, so you can be more sure that it won't repeat. I know you said that all the ducklings were sold, but a lonely duck (even if there are the chickens) won't be as happy as having a friend of it's own specie. Maybe you can try asking some farmers near you or on Craigslist.
For the babies, try approaching them from the side of the brooder, and not from the top, chickens are preys and, for babies, a big hand coming from the sky is like a big hawk trying to catch them. So, from a side of the brooder, leave your hand laying still on the bedding and see if they try aproaching you instead. I don't know how old they are and if you are giving them chick grit, you can try putting them some treats they like on your hand (if they don't have grit don't give any treat, this may cause an impacted crop).
Yeah I have call everyone around me checked Craigslist all that right now my only option it to online order, we had the garage door locked but of corse he found out how to do that so now we put an alarm on the door, I am unsure of how old they are my self we got them from a snug r and they were all different sizes. We don’t have grit but I will get some, but in the mean time is it ok to give grass? Still vary young and small we do have mill worms that we give as a treat to the bigger hens

Yeah I have call everyone around me checked Craigslist all that right now my only option it to online order, we had the garage door locked but of corse he found out how to do that so now we put an alarm on the door, I am unsure of how old they are my self we got them from a snug r and they were all different sizes. We don’t have grit but I will get some, but in the mean time is it ok to give grass? Still vary young and small we do have mill worms that we give as a treat to the bigger hens
No, if they don't have grit don't give them grass

Duckings can be raised with chicks if necessary. If it turns out to be a she it can work long term, but I would not keep a lone grown drake with full grown chicken hens. For the immediate find some dirt with very small stones if you want to give treats. Grit is small stones.

Yeah well we’re wanting to try smoked duck, we are a family of 6 with 4 boys lol so one duck was just not going to cut it but I do feel my husband was getting attacked to the Indian runner(the one that past) so now I’m looking at order we have never ordered online before so trying to fined one that is close to Colorado that is a trusted seller cuz there is a fear that the kaki we have might be male . I think it’s to young to tell hits the same size as the chicks right now

Back
Top Bottom