Treating 9 week old chick for sour crop but no change

Update on my chick…I just finished the second round of Miconazole, and it seemed to finally clear up the issue!!! Her crop starting emptying on the 6th day of treatment and it hasn’t ballooned up since. Very excited as I dealt with this issue for over a month. I used suppositories the first round and that didn’t seem to do anything, so I’m guessing that the dosage wasn’t enough to kill the yeast. For the second round, I used the cream and froze little dollops that I could shove down her throat. So glad the second round worked out and in the future I’ll go straight to the cream.

I have three chicks that have been outside in the coop for 3 weeks now on a dirt run. They have access to chick starter feed, grit and water. About 2 weeks ago, my gold sex link chick started doing a strange bobbing of her head and had a very full crop of what felt like chick feed and grit. A couple days later, it turned squishy like a firm water balloon and was not empty any morning I checked. Through all of this, she has stayed active, and still wanting to eat and drink normally. She is pooping normally and regularly. After reading every post on here about sour crop, I decided to separate her and treat her with miconazale suppositories. She is on day 6 of the treatment and has only been getting scrambled eggs and plain Greek yogurt for food all week. My concern is that her crop feels the same as it did 6 days ago. We do not have the option to go to a vet, so I'm trying to solve this on my own. My intent is to get the crop to empty overnight, but that does not seem to be happening on the current plan. The other 2 chicks seem fine and their crops empty overnight. Any suggestions?
Are you massaging the crop. Is there a smell coming from her mouth

Back
Top Bottom