Treating leg mites when u can’t catch a chicken!

Buff Tutt

Hatching
Feb 5, 2024
HELP please!! My flock has scaly leg mites BUT I can’t use the recommended topical treatment or procedures since they are deathly afraid of me and I can’t catch them. What do I /can I do aside from letting them suffer:(

So if a bird is in your coop, there is no way to get to it at all??? What if a bird dies in there, how would you get it out? How do you clean it? I cannot picture a coop with no way to get to a bird....can you post pictures? If there truly is no way, then you need a new coop. You could put a large wire crate at the door so when they come out in the morning they go in the crate. Close it and catch the bird. To treat, wrap the bird in a bath towel like a burrito, cover the head with a small towel, and lay it on it's back. It will calm down. Then you can treat the legs and feet.

You can treat mites by putting garlic powder or garlic granules in their feed. It makes them taste bad , like B12 makes us taste bad to mosquitoes. For every bird, one pinch in the morning and one pinch in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom