Treats in run attracting ants

I've never had any problems with ants before. And if you're leaving your chickens treats, I wouldn't think that they wouldn't stick around long enough to attract ants.
Well I don't know what they like yet. They are 7 weeks old and just got in the outdoor coop/run so I am going to start experimenting. Tried boiled corn today and they didn't touch it.

Well I don't know what they like yet. They are 7 weeks old and just got in the outdoor coop/run so I am going to start experimenting. Tried boiled corn today and they didn't touch it.
I wouldn't worry about ants being a problem. Unless you just have thousands upon thousands of them Lol Just keep the leftover food cleared out of the coop so it doesn't have time to attract any kind of bug to it and I'm sure you'll get their favorites sorted out in no time!

They are so young that I wouldn’t leave treats - it dilutes the nutrition of their feed and they are actively growing.

Corn is not very nutritious for them anyway, and is low in protein.

A “treat” could be their feed, with water added. This can be made to a batter like consistency with a few small seeds or tiny chopped fruit (darker colors better bc they look like bugs) scattered on the top. Most chickens find this “treat” hard to resist once they try it. Plus you aren’t diluting their proper nutrition.

IMHO I wouldn't start feeding treats while they're on grower feed. They need appropriate nutrition while developing. Wait a while until they've graduated to an "adult" feed (i.e. either layer or all flock), and as mentioned before, a "treat" can be a mash made by mixing their dry feed with water. Give it time to 'set up'.

If ants are a problem you can use a hanging feeder which stays off the ground. Since I feel my hens are old enough to have a daily treat, I hang a separate shallow tray underneath my raised coop. I put a plastic baby plate in the tray that can hold treats like diced fruit, plain yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce or fruit and veggie baby food.

A “treat” could be their feed, with water added. This can be made to a batter like consistency with a few small seeds or tiny chopped fruit (darker colors better bc they look like bugs) scattered on the top. Most chickens find this “treat” hard to resist once they try it. Plus you aren’t diluting their proper nutrition.

I agree, except that I have never found a need to sprinkle anything on top.

Their feed wetted into a mash has always been my chickens' favorite treat, no matter what age. Chicks get chick feed mash, adults get all flock feed mash. They love it. It's your regular food, silly birds! :)

Back
Top Bottom