Tree roosting

Nonnapoo

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
I have a flock of ten who free range. My coop is 4 X 8 and I have a very secure covered run that is 8x10. Both the run and coop have multiple roosting bars. My 3 teenagers, a barred rock who seems to be the ringleader, and 2 Easter egger do not want to go in at night even for treats. They fly up on top of the run which is 10 feet high and then into the trees from there. They are about 20 feet up. Not sure if I should worry especially with cold weather coming in a couple months.

Inspect your coop closely for poultry mites or other parasites. They hide in the crevices and only come out at night to suck the blood of the roosing chickens.

So it is best to check your coop at night using a headlamp or similar.
You can also use doublesided adhesive tape on the underside of the roosting bar and wrapped around both ends where it meets the wall.

Any mites that try to get to your chickens will get trapped sticking onto the tape, as well as any mites they might bring in themselves. After feeding on them they will leave the birds to hide in the crevices and will get trapped as well.

Back
Top Bottom