Trouble Hatching Goslings

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
Hatching 3 goslings. One hatched fine. The other two were cemented in and gooey. No progress on two that had pipped with a hole large enough to see the gosling. One is upside down with legs shaking. It has a flesh colored ball small marble sized that hasn't absorbed. The other is not walking legs curled in, not fully absorbed and smells. Do you think there is any chance for them. What should I do. I can see I probably should not have helped, but they were going to die if I didn't and there was no bleeding. Is the smell bacteria?

Give them time, they may improve. You might want to put some form of non-painrelief antibiotic on their bellies to lessen infection, and if their legs remain curled later on you'll need to splint them for a day or a few days.
In this case you definitely should have helped, however it's important to know that sometimes things die no matter what you do.
Also, put the one that's upside down right side up. I had a chicken chick who had a weak leg and would flip any time she tried to walk at all. Took a few days and countless turning her back over, but she's fine now.
The yolk on the one should either absorb or dry up and fall off soon.
The smell could either be bacteria or just new chick smell. They don't exactly smell good when they hatch out normally, I've noticed.

Last edited:
One of them is trying to stand up. I gave them poly vi sol. I will look for antibiotic creme. He is holding his neck up a little better than he was in the beginning. It looks like one foot is turned in.

You might want to splint that, but generally just be patient with them. Assisted chicks are often weak at first, but it's better than being dead.
My chicken I mentioned before didn't even open her eyes for an entire day after I got her out of her egg -she was too stuck to even internally pip on her own- all she did was lay there; my mother thought she was dead but she kept breathing, and now she's a healthy "teenager" chicken who enjoys picking on younger chicks -which is why I keep her in with an ornery cockatiel instead, he doesn't take her crap.

Had three eggs in one incubator and one hatched and I helped the other two because they were way late. One was deformed and had to be culled, but the other one's feet were turned in, but they are straightening out now. Had two of the other three hatch with no problem at all. I don't think the other egg will hatch.These four little guys are pretty happy.

Back
Top Bottom