Trouble Integrating Chicks, Injuries

jamiep1984

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
Hi all,

I have eight 11 week old pullets and two 8 week old pullets. I’ve done what people have recommended and put it to where they can see each other but can’t physically interact. It’s been about 3 weeks. I have tried to integrate them a couple of times now and both times, each of the littles got wounds and I had to separate them. To some extent I did expect this but I waited it out over two hours each time I hopes the big girls would stop chasing and pecking them to no avail.

I’m at a loss as to what to do. Do I just need to let it be and hope my girls don’t kill my littles? They can’t live separately forever 😖

I had this same exasperating problem. It is so frustrating and it was even worse for me because I was trying to integrate only one. I tried everything in the book and nothing worked. Only when one of my original hens got eaten and the pecking order was disrupted did they finally accept her. I would try splitting your original flock and trying to integrate them then. Separate the "nice" and "mean" ones and put the new ones with the "nice" ones. That's my suggestion.

I had this same exasperating problem. It is so frustrating and it was even worse for me because I was trying to integrate only one. I tried everything in the book and nothing worked. Only when one of my original hens got eaten and the pecking order was disrupted did they finally accept her. I would try splitting your original flock and trying to integrate them then. Separate the "nice" and "mean" ones and put the new ones with the "nice" ones. That's my suggestion.
Thank you! I have the babies in the coop with 4 of my docile girls for the night. I’ve checked on them a few times and they seem to just be nestled up to sleep. I feel bad for my girls in the run tonight, they are up on the ramp wondering why they can’t get in 😞

Thank you! I have the babies in the coop with 4 of my docile girls for the night. I’ve checked on them a few times and they seem to just be nestled up to sleep. I feel bad for my girls in the run tonight, they are up on the ramp wondering why they can’t get in 😞
Awesome !Let me know how it goes.

Awesome !Let me know how it goes.
As of this morning, complete peace in the coop! I have been wondering if the big bully chicken is the main cause, as the others are fine but then seem to follow her when she starts it. I have her in chicken jail and will test this theory today with the rest of the chickens. I hate to do this to her but hopefully it knocks her down a peg!

As of this morning, complete peace in the coop! I have been wondering if the big bully chicken is the main cause, as the others are fine but then seem to follow her when she starts it. I have her in chicken jail and will test this theory today with the rest of the chickens. I hate to do this to her but hopefully it knocks her down a peg!
Any progress as of Sunday night?

Any progress as of Sunday night?
Oddly because the cage I used didn’t have a roof, she broke out of jail sometime in the night, but the littles were okay. So far she hasn’t been allowed to sleep in the coop with them but she’s not going in there to harass them or chase them so far which is what I was after! One of the docile girls has been choosing to hang out with the babies which is also really cute! Keeping a close eye on the situation— I’m ready to re jail the bully in a better cage next time if she goes back to her bad behavior.

Oddly because the cage I used didn’t have a roof, she broke out of jail sometime in the night, but the littles were okay. So far she hasn’t been allowed to sleep in the coop with them but she’s not going in there to harass them or chase them so far which is what I was after! One of the docile girls has been choosing to hang out with the babies which is also really cute! Keeping a close eye on the situation— I’m ready to re jail the bully in a better cage next time if she goes back to her bad behavior.
Glad to hear it's going smoothly. That is good that you are prepared to isolate her again. Hopefully you won't have to, but just in case... Strangely, after a year and a half my youngest chicken is still only tolerated, and we still on rare occasion have to break up fights. It seems, however, that you will have a better experience!

Back
Top Bottom