trouble with Bantam ....

ErnieBerley

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
Marshall NC (western NC mountains)
hey
i'm having issues with my favorite D'uccle bantam mama hen... she's been acting different for a couple weeks...then i noticed a lot of dried poop around vent, and some fresh...i cleaned it off and cut feathers back but i think she may have an infection anyway.

i'm not up to speed with how to treat issues like this... she was eating ok during these 2 weeks she was lethargic, but now she's not able to walk and i felt her and there's like not much muscle mass really - like she's lost weight. I gave AQ. Penicillin about 100,000 u. also Vet Rx and some electrolytes. What else would i do?
thanks

So this is vent gleet. Make sure you are using natural feed and scratch instead of harsh ones that can cause diarrhea and stick around to cause pasty butt and vent gleet. Since this has probably already become an infection sadly make sure to not use antibiotics. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria, during this time chickens need all the good bacteria they can get. Give me one second to write another message to you!

I recommend adding 1 Tablespoon/gallon of apple cider vinegar to the water daily for the next week. Apple Cider Vinegar is very effective in chickens and humans and is a great probiotic. Also, add a small spoon of yogurt daily for the next week as a treat. This is all going to flush out the bad bacteria and keep the good. Everything listed is natural. You can also add the probiotic powder to the feed: https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-poultry-probiotics/dp/256483

A great way to treat it is offering a molasses flush consisting of 1/2 Cup of molasses per gallon of water - free choice for several hours then replaced with fresh, plain water

Make sure that especially for the next week you make sure their water is clean. Also, make sure to discard old wet feed immediately. Adding sea kelp to the affected area is a great option as well, here is the link: https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-coop-kelp-organic/dp/256479

I hope this all helps and I am so sorry about your hen! Praying!!

I recommend adding 1 Tablespoon/gallon of apple cider vinegar to the water daily for the next week. Apple Cider Vinegar is very effective in chickens and humans and is a great probiotic. Also, add a small spoon of yogurt daily for the next week as a treat. This is all going to flush out the bad bacteria and keep the good. Everything listed is natural. You can also add the probiotic powder to the feed: https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-poultry-probiotics/dp/256483

A great way to treat it is offering a molasses flush consisting of 1/2 Cup of molasses per gallon of water - free choice for several hours then replaced with fresh, plain water

Make sure that especially for the next week you make sure their water is clean. Also, make sure to discard old wet feed immediately. Adding sea kelp to the affected area is a great option as well, here is the link: https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-coop-kelp-organic/dp/256479

I hope this all helps and I am so sorry about your hen! Praying!!
thank you so very much... i do use raw apple cider vinegar in their water all the time.... but you're right ive given Penicillin when it's fungal probably. I'll work on that . I just pray she can hang on and get better. she's the best mama hen i've ever seen and so sweet !!

Last edited:
i altered my reply to u...i do use apple cider vinegar in thjeir water all the time...but fungal vs. bacterial THANK YOU never would have thought that. her feathers are so long back there i think it got piled up and cause the infection .

i altered my reply to u...i do use apple cider vinegar in thjeir water all the time...but fungal vs. bacterial THANK YOU never would have thought that. her feathers are so long back there i think it got piled up and cause the infection .
Of course! And yes, if her feathers are long you can trim them in the back if necessary. I have done the same thing and it helps it become less piled up.

thank you so very much... i do use raw apple cider vinegar in their water all the time.... but you're right ive given Penicillin when it's fungal probably. I'll work on that . I just pray she can hang on and get better. she's the best mama hen i've ever seen and so sweet !!
Yes, I'm praying too!

Back
Top Bottom