Trying Something New

rdranch

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Strasburg,CO
We are supposed to have low temps in the single digits for the next sveral days. I was looking at the coop and want to keep proper ventilation but want to keep the snow out. All the vents have 1/2" hardware cloth on them and that woks well. Except for keeping snow out so I covered the vents with a double layer of shade fabric.

I put a thermometer on the roost and will monitor temps frequently to see what's really going on temperature wise. Before this change I just covered the windward vents completely but wasn't happy with the smell after a few days. Hopefully this will ventilate better in bad weather and keep the snow out and the coop nice and dry.
fl.gif

It worked very well. No snow in the coop and great ventilation. I do think that during one our typical snow storms the vents will need to be blocked much more. It's hard to stop horizontal snow.
smile.png

Great way to keep snow out of the vents, thanks for that now perhaps I'll try outside

I was considering using sun screen for snow blocking around the coop??

Kind of a way to keep most of the blowing snow from entering the coop, yet still letting the breeze in, gotta think a bit about the sunny side, I know the gals like sun bathing:D

Repo

Just went out to check on them. Half were on the floor of the coop next to a north facing vent getting win from the north. The other half were either on the roost or wandering around the rest of the coop. They seem to be doing just fine. Inside temp is 25F.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom