Trying to determine male/female guineas

Irishluck09

Hatching
Feb 24, 2024
I found a few post on here about the different sounds guineas can make to sex a guinea. But im a bit confused. All my guineas sound like males when they holler out but I get guineas eggs. They also all look the same. So how do I determine male or female guineas?

Attachments

• 20240224_134942.jpg
    20240224_134942.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240224_134943.jpg
    20240224_134943.jpg
    978.1 KB · Views: 11
Guinea hens can make all the sounds the males make.

You can remove one guinea at a time and take them out of sight of the other guineas. The hens should make their two syllable "buckwheat" call.

During laying season the hens will have their "bustle" raised. The males won't.

A male will sit in one place as his hen forages in a circle around him.

Hens will look directly at you while males will sidle around and look askance at you as they size you up.

Hens will sit on a nest while a male will stand by on guard duty.

Guinea hens can make all the sounds the males make.

You can remove one guinea at a time and take them out of sight of the other guineas. The hens should make their two syllable "buckwheat" call.

During laying season the hens will have their "bustle" raised. The males won't.

A male will sit in one place as his hen forages in a circle around him.

Hens will look directly at you while males will sidle around and look askance at you as they size you up.

Hens will sit on a nest while a male will stand by on guard duty.
So as far as "looks" go it's hard to determine. .ore or less have to watch there behavior.

I used to put them in a covered kennel one at a time to figure it out. Didn't do that this time and seemed like everyone was screaming "Come Back!"
But with season coming on, it was like an over night change occurred.
You can't rely on physical appearance, but one morning some of my "girls" were sporting these big floppy waddles (where did THOSE come from?!), standing sideways, charging everything in sight and chasing tails. NOT girls.
I have one named Mia that nannied a brood about 4 weeks younger. The 1st sunny spring day we had, "Mia" went over & beyond to prove she was a he. The name stuck.
I think what stymies me is that the girls are so vocal that it's all you hear. I thought Mia was just quiet bc the Momma to that brood he helped raise picked on him all the time. Now I think the males just don't say much unless they have a reason to, where as the hens will call relentlessly until they have a mate.

Back
Top Bottom