Trying to integrate mamas & chicks

MamaFox78

Songster
Aug 9, 2022
Colorado Rocky Mountains
This is my first time with broody hens hatching eggs! I've got two hens raising 3 baby chicks, they hatched about 2.5 weeks ago. The mamas (buff orpington and bantam ameraucana) are wanting to get out of the broody enclosure, and I think it's time for the chicks to get out too.

But when we let the mamas out, our roo Chipotle attacked one of them!!😱 I'm afraid to let the babies out if he's attacking the mama. Normally Chipotle is a very good boi, so this was totally unexpected.

Any advice on how to get them reintroduced to the flock? Pics of my setup for reference.

Attachments

• 20230704_132924.jpg
    20230704_132924.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230505_101802.jpg
    20230505_101802.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 10
I'd definatly put chapolte in a time out.
Your chicks should be old enough to join the flock with their mothers, but most of the fights in these cases are hens and the broodys. Not roosters.
Once the hens have adjusted back to the flock. Then maybe introduce back the rooster and watch closely to see if he is in fight/kill mode, or just has mating (the new girl) on his mind.
I have had a rooster go at a hen with true injury his goal, and I culled him quickly.
My hens give me eggs, enjoyment and chicks.
Roosters are mostly eye candy, and easy to replace if you end up with a bad actor.

I'd definatly put chapolte in a time out.
Your chicks should be old enough to join the flock with their mothers, but most of the fights in these cases are hens and the broodys. Not roosters.
Once the hens have adjusted back to the flock. Then maybe introduce back the rooster and watch closely to see if he is in fight/kill mode, or just has mating (the new girl) on his mind.
I have had a rooster go at a hen with true injury his goal, and I culled him quickly.
My hens give me eggs, enjoyment and chicks.
Roosters are mostly eye candy, and easy to replace if you end up with a bad actor.
That's kind of what I was thinking.

Chipotle went after her with his spurs, which is unusual because he's normally so good with the hens. I had a nasty roo before whose aggression ended up getting him culled... I hope I don't have to do that with Chipotle, but the girls come first! 😅

I'll try putting Chipotle in time out and supervise how it goes having the mamas & babies in with the hens. Both mamas are very protective, so hopefully the other hens will quickly adjust to the chicks and be nice. 😂 Then we'll see if Chipotle is ready to be nice, or if he's gonna buy himself a ticket to freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom