Trying to tame quails, need some help... šŸ˜­šŸ˜¢

Guys, I did it in one day. First, I trained them to be able to go under my hand which is a trick I call ā€tunnelā€ as if theyā€™re passing under my hand like a tunnel. They let me pet them now and calmly walk away if theyā€™re not comfortable. I used so many leaves to do this šŸ˜‚. And then, set up a system and they walked out their cage and wandered a lot And ate a lot and really seemed a bit nervous but very happy. Then I put them back in their cage. Was sooo fun with them. I hope i can keep them as tame free roaming (when Iā€™m home) pets soon!

Yes about that they never hop out since they feel threatened and they donā€™t trust me :ā€™(
Theyā€™ll start flying out before they even have enough feathers that a reasonable person would expect they would need to do so. They get scared and all fly like sparrows. I had to clip my button chicks wings because they were constantly trying to get out when I fed them, but they were flying long before their primary feathers were mature enough to be clipped.

Theyā€™ll start flying out before they even have enough feathers that a reasonable person would expect they would need to do so. They get scared and all fly like sparrows. I had to clip my button chicks wings because they were constantly trying to get out when I fed them, but they were flying long before their primary feathers were mature enough to be clipped.
Thatā€˜s weird, mine donā€™t even fly anymore. They donā€™t fly at all. They can only rin or hop small distances. Since our cage door is elevated, they have to fly to get out but they donā€™t.

Thatā€˜s weird, mine donā€™t even fly anymore. They donā€™t fly at all. They can only rin or hop small distances. Since our cage door is elevated, they have to fly to get out but they donā€™t.
At like day 7 give or take I was messaging @Ravenlover about them flying out of the brooder, even though they just had some tips of primaries and baby fluff everywhere else. Then about a week or so later, even though I had a lid on, I found my dog eating one in the bathroom. My kids must have opened it to take one out, and didnā€™t see another one escape. They probably left the wire flap in the top open and thought they couldnā€™t fly out such a small space. Last weekend, at 3 weeks, they fly as accurately as sparrows, so I clipped all their wings. Getting them out and clipping them, I had 4-5 escapes and the whole family was chasing them. We got everyone clipped and back inside. They have a very short clip on their right wing, and they fly like rocks now. I can fill the food and water without having to fend them off, and back into the cage. When I open the lid, they all flap like crazy, if they werenā€™t clipped, they would all be swarming the the opening.

All depends on how big your hatch group is and how tamed and attached they get to u I have 3 who I call the orphans cuz they were extras and I didn't spend time with them just gave them food water and toys and space and such (the extra make is separate now) and they fly away when I take the lip off and reach towards them (which is why I just lift a side up lol) and the rest of mine don't do it unless something scares the hell out of them which is rare then I have a couple that are tamed but grew up with mates so they don't like to be handled but don't freak out I like to think of them as naturally raised lol handled just enough to tame( these ones hatch and raise there own babies if I let them) it all depends

For a button who is super super attached raise with only 1 to nother babies (warning will call for u when left alone in it's cage may annoy spouse when ur at work šŸ˜‚) plus have to spend a ton of time with them cuz u become there momma

Back
Top Bottom