Two Ganders fighting over female

Morganfunnyfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2021
I stared with three 3 year old Toulouse geese 2 males 1 female. All was fine for 6 months, then Charlie and Linus started fighting over Peppermint Patty. I thought the matter was settled and Charlie bonded with Peppermint. Until Linus beat the stuffing out of Charlie. I had to separate them. I even got two younger females. But still they would fight. Now Peppermint and Linus have Littles. I let Charlie and Lucy out of their pen to walk around... Charlie went for Linus THROUGH the fence! My question is, will let ever to able to get along? Will I need to rehome one? If so which one? Charlie and Peppermint were together first.

It sounds like at this point you have done a lot to try to make it work, adding extra females, separating, etc. If they haven't worked things out by now, I would be hesitant to say they will. As far as rehoming one of them, does it seem like either one is more aggressive or tries to pick more fights than the other? I always try to pick the more docile and laid back when I have to rehome. I don't think it matters which gander was with peppermint patty first, since they have both been with her at some point. That is, of course, you've noticed any behavior that indicates Patty likes one more than the other.

It sounds like at this point you have done a lot to try to make it work, adding extra females, separating, etc. If they haven't worked things out by now, I would be hesitant to say they will. As far as rehoming one of them, does it seem like either one is more aggressive or tries to pick more fights than the other? I always try to pick the more docile and laid back when I have to rehome. I don't think it matters which gander was with peppermint patty first, since they have both been with her at some point. That is, of course, you've noticed any behavior that indicates Patty likes one more than the other.

Peppy would stay close to Charlie's enclosure when they were free ranging. But now that we've moved and there's goslings in the mix, I have no idea. Neither gander is aggressive, protective yes, but never mean towards humans. Linus is mean to Lucy and now Charlie is as well. Cordelia is with the parents and goslings, I don't know if I can put Lucy in with them. I do know that Charlie won't hurt the goslings, since the Littles got thru the fence and into his area. I can't pick!!! Ugh, why can't they just all get along!

Peppy would stay close to Charlie's enclosure when they were free ranging. But now that we've moved and there's goslings in the mix, I have no idea. Neither gander is aggressive, protective yes, but never mean towards humans. Linus is mean to Lucy and now Charlie is as well. Cordelia is with the parents and goslings, I don't know if I can put Lucy in with them. I do know that Charlie won't hurt the goslings, since the Littles got thru the fence and into his area. I can't pick!!! Ugh, why can't they just all get along!
It is frustrating, isn't it? I'm sorry. I hope you can come to a good solution soon!

Goose dynamics are tricky.
Truthfully the ganders will continue to obsessively attack each other unless the flock dynamics are drastically changed. Sometimes it’s the females that actually start fights, that high pitched cackle they do is like a call to war that drives the males into a frenzie.

Ganders can get along perfectly well wether there are females or not, but the trick is to bond them with each other, then add the females back in.
So you can either rehome one of the ganders, or seperate all the females, introduce the ganders into an area where they can see each other but are separated, then slowly introduce them to each other.
It is a stressful process and can take weeks or even months depending on their personalitIes though, and sometimes it won’t work if one of them is too much of a bully.

Last edited:
OK since it's a nice day and two of us to keep watch. I let ALL the geese out at the same time. There were four minor fights that we had to break up. But then they simmered down.
I still plan on separating them tonight.

OK since it's a nice day and two of us to keep watch. I let ALL the geese out at the same time. There were four minor fights that we had to break up. But then they simmered down.
I still plan on separating them tonight. U

I keep trying add a picture of the group without any luck. Now one of the females is off to herself ... they keep pushing her
Away

Back
Top Bottom