Two mother hens fighting

Grace5ive

Hatching
Jul 26, 2017
So I have two mother hens: Marilyn who is on her second clutch, and Buffy who is on her first. Marilyn sat on eggs for two weeks when Buffy stole the pile while Marilyn was out for food. Somehow they settled on splitting the pile. I kept them together until after each had two chicks. Then they began to fight. So I put Marilyn out with her two chicks since she was seasoned. She's done well free-range for a week. Buffy went-on to hatch three more eggs. Today I attempted to put Buffy out with her chicks. Within minutes, the two moms were tearing each others feathers out. So I put Buffy back in with her chicks. (By "in", I mean into a broody box that they don't leave.) my question is, should I put them out again? Will they fight over the chicks forever? Will they fight until one is dead? We have a lot of land, but all the chickens go back to the coop to roost at night, with Marilyn taking her chicks into a tote I've made into a nesting box. There's a similar tote for Buffy, but I'm not sure how they'd all do. My flock consists of three other hens, the two moms, and four gender-Unidentified older chicks from Marilyn's last clutch. Suggestions?

I had two mother hens at the same time and they were separated till their eggs hatched then I introduced them to each other they fought until one gave up which happened to be my favorite I was sad about that, but after the first few days they got along fine

I had two mother hens at the same time and they were separated till their eggs hatched then I introduced them to each other they fought until one gave up which happened to be my favorite I was sad about that, but after the first few days they got along fine
"Gave up"? The fight or her chicks?

Back
Top Bottom