Two questions on duck food/grit for new ducklings

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I've been giving my new ducklings tiny treats the last week - just bits of zucchini or cucumber and some meal worms. I've sprinkled some chick grit into their food, but the instructions say after a few days of doing this to just offer it in a bowl. I did this yesterday for a few minutes and my littlest was shoveling it in like it's the best thing she's ever had. I was worried so pulled the bowl out. Will they self-regulate and should I leave the dish in, or continue sprinkling it on their food?

Also, when I combine the new ones into my older flock, do I have to wait until these babies are laying, since my older ducks get layer feed? Should I buy the maintenance for the new ones until they start laying, and when do I switch them off of starter food? I've been feeding the Mazuri brand, which has starter, maintenance, and breeder feed.

Thanks for any advice!

Do you leave feed out 24/7? That would be my only guess as to why the duckling would be ingesting so much grit. You don't really need to leave a contrainer full, just maybe a tablespoon or a little more depending on how many ducklings you have. The duckling might have just been intrigued at this new offering. But, grit should be offered on the side.

If you wait until they are laying to integrate, it could be quite awhile. My newest ones are currently 5 months and no eggs. I feed an all flock and provide oyster and egg shell on the side due to having a mixed flock of ducks and chickens - no time or the energy to offer 3 different feeds and hope everyone sticks to eating only what is meant for them. 😁 I don't offer layer feed. If you want to feed duck feed, maybe offer the starter with the oyster/egg shell on the side until all are laying. Does that mean you are 100% sure you have no drakes?

I do leave food out 24/7. They are only three weeks old. I think she was just excited to see something new come out, but I did get nervous she would get too much and get sick.

Thanks for the advice on integrating. I don't want to wait five months, but want to start when they're about 8 weeks I think. They are all supposed to be female and my 5 two year olds are all female. They get oyster shells on the side. I guess my question now would be, is it okay to give females that are laying just a maintenance feed for a few months until the babies start laying?

I do leave food out 24/7. They are only three weeks old. I think she was just excited to see something new come out, but I did get nervous she would get too much and get sick.

Thanks for the advice on integrating. I don't want to wait five months, but want to start when they're about 8 weeks I think. They are all supposed to be female and my 5 two year olds are all female. They get oyster shells on the side. I guess my question now would be, is it okay to give females that are laying just a maintenance feed for a few months until the babies start laying?
As long as you provide oyster shell on the side, it will be fine. It's all a juggling game, isn't it? 😁

I know there is a good reason to worry about overfeeding grit as there have been people who continue to put it in feed instead of offering separate and then end up with issues.

I would give them maintenance when you put them together, with oyster shells on the side. Your older girls might be slowing their egg production down for winter soon anyway and hopefully not need their breeder diet as much.

If you start having thin eggshells you could separate them for their morning feeding, then let them all together with maintenance for the rest of the day.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I will do that! My pekins are hardly laying right now anyway, and the welsh usually quit for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom