Tylan 50 injured rooster

Gina70427

Chirping
Mar 30, 2023
I have a rooster that fought with a raccoon about two weeks ago. He seemed ok at first just had a swollen eye. After about 4 days it appeared his eye was ok until about 4-5 days ago. He began to hold his head sideways and seemed dizzy and weak. I searched high and low for a answer and then realized he had a infection on his head. (A small little hole ) I went to my feed store and got tylan 50. My question is , how many days should he get this, and should I give injections or orally. I’ve seen some say it’s better orally and some say injection. I did inject him last night to get it in him because he is pretty bad. (He is very week and has a smell to his head) I feel horrible I didn’t catch this sooner. So again inject or orally? And would he get the same amount either way? And how many days. Thanks .

You can do injection or orally, dose is the same for both.
Dosage is 1cc or ml per 5lbs of body weight, given 2X a day for 5days.
There are different opinions as to which is better. Some are very uncomfortable with injecting, so orally is just better for them. Some feel that absorption and effectiveness are better when injected in the breast muscle. If injecting you should alternate sides of the breast and use a different spot each time, it can cause tissue damage at the injection site, I believe the literature that comes with it says that in it.
There is discussion in this thread, might be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tylan-50-injectable-taken-orally.589410/

Back
Top Bottom