Understanding my roosters

Combining your two groups is a bad idea. It’s not always possible to have two roosters in a flock, let alone more than that. Your all rooster flock can get along because there are no hens. Add hens to the mix and the fighting starts. Even if by some miracle your roosters were to all get along, you’d have way too many roosters for your number of hens. The only sensible option is to keep the two flocks separate.
There will be only one rooster in a couple of days

Sorry, it’s late and I think I misunderstood. Can you tell us more about the number of HENS in each flock? I got the impression that your original flock was a bachelor flock, but maybe not? If you do have a *ton* of hens and a ton of space and separate coops or a truly huge coop, I could see “combining” them. Only because they could basically have enough room to split up into separate flocks…
There are hens in both flocks. One flock just has 4 roosters and only 2 hens. Which is why I got a new floc for more hens. We will be putting all but one rooster in the freezer in a couple of days. I just wanted to start merging them together for the sake of the hens who are about to lose all of their roosters.
I was more curious if the roosters stopped fighting for me if if it was just great timing and they were done fighting. The fight didn’t go on long and there were no injuries.

ok, that makes more sense. You can’t „integrate“ roosters with roosters. No amount of „look, don’t touch“ will help there…
They are currently in seperate coop. I had let them out to freerange hopping a mint of hearing and seeing each other would be enough. I realize I need to give them more time. It’s mainly putting the hens from the 2 flocks together. All but one rooster is going to freezer camp in a couple of days

There are hens in both flocks. One flock just has 4 roosters and only 2 hens. Which is why I got a new floc for more hens. We will be putting all but one rooster in the freezer in a couple of days. I just wanted to start merging them together for the sake of the hens who are about to lose all of their roosters.
I was more curious if the roosters stopped fighting for me if if it was just great timing and they were done fighting. The fight didn’t go on long and there were no injuries.
I see. In my experience roosters easily accept new hens, so you shouldn’t have a problem whichever rooster you keep. I am amazed that your flock of 4 roos and 2 hens has kept the peace so far…
They may or may not have stopped because of you - hard to tell without seeing it, but that doesn’t mean this would last at all.
Especially with spring on the doorstep, hormones will start raging again soon…

Addressing your original question about your influence on the fight.

NO I don't think you had much to do with it. I think you showed up at the right time, and the fight was over for that time. I have worked with and raised a lot of animals and intact males are the least influenced by people. We raise cattle, horses, and I have chickens. But rams and boars are the same way.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom