Undigested seeds in poop - molting or possible issue?

WingsysRoost

Crowing
Nov 8, 2022
Hello everyone.

Just over the last two days or so, I've been noticing a few chicken poops that are rather green, with what looks like undigested seeds in them (mostly millet, from what I could see).

I have quite a few birds that are either in the middle of molting or going into molt. They don't seem particularly ill, aside from the usual sluggishness that goes along with a heavy molt (and being slightly sluggish because of the heat, but that is typical for them). They have access to grit, and they free range so are likely picking up something then as well. Seeds are fed in a specific, limited amount daily. Layer crumble is freely available at all times, as is fresh water.

Could molting potentially cause a change in poop like that? Or should I be looking at other causes?

Thanks in advance!

Photos of the poop?

Molting can be hard on them, so being sluggish would not be uncommon. The undigested seeds - possibly. This is something you've routinely given to them and haven't noticed them just passing through until now?

Photos of the poop?

Molting can be hard on them, so being sluggish would not be uncommon. The undigested seeds - possibly. This is something you've routinely given to them and haven't noticed them just passing through until now?

Thanks for your response!

Yes, this is something they get daily. I haven't seen it happening before with them. The only time that I have seen it happen before was with one of my birds who was already visibly ill by the time it showed up as a symptom. None of mine look ill, though. I'm really hoping that it is just molt weirdness, or at least that it will be something simple to fix, and not that one of them is hiding something serious.

I will try to go out and get a picture. It was already too dark to get a good one by the time I noticed last night.

I just noticed this in my hens this week. What was the resolution to seeing millet seeds in your flock's poop? This was from my 3 year old Ingrid. She has known oviduct issues and has not laid an egg in nearly a year.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    915.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom