Unknown disease affecting chickens

shark13

Hatching
Sep 28, 2023
Hello,

I live in Hawaii where chickens run free, much like cats. We raised one chick that turned out to be a roster, a little chicken math later, and we've go about 20 chickens that live in and around our bamboo forest.

One of the hens, which is less than a year old, recently had 10 chicks. Some were lost to predators but three were died in a similar fashion. They got slower, couldn't keep up with mom, began to get sleepy. We took them in and tried to revive them without success. Some of the common symptoms were lethargy, heavy breathing, a different kind of smell from their underneath, and eventually they would be disorientated. They would move their heads around in circle as if they head vertigo. Shortly afterwards they would pass.

About a week ago I smelled death and found that one of our roosters, the mother hen's brother, had died. Over the last week we have been carrying for their sister. She had very bad white chalky, stinky diarrhea for several days. The smell was distinctive and a larger version of what I smelled with the chicks. It began to go away but was then followed by her having trouble tracking food, then walking in circles, and progressed to being nearly paralyzed. She passed this evening.

Do these symptoms (white chalky stool, dizziness, heading wandering 180 degrees) sound familiar? I'm concerned about the rest of the chickens health.

Thanks

It is hard to know what is affecting them for sure without getting one or two bodies examined during a necropsy by a state vet lab. In Hawaii, I don’t know if that is possible. It sounds like it could be Mareks disease, common worldwide, and that can decrease immunity toward diseases such as coccidiosis and enteritis. Dealing with wild chickens would be difficult. For the ones you have, treating for coccidiosis might benefit them, and help. Mareks tends to cause survival of the fittest. Vaccines can be leaky, and some say it creates a super bug.

Back
Top Bottom