Unknown skin issue

Jul 25, 2022
My silkie rooster lost his tail feathers about 1 week ago. Now it seems his sore is growing in size. I thought maybe it might be fly strike, but I don’t see any maggots. I am at a loss as to what is happening. Should I give him ivermectin in case parasites are causing this?

Attachments

• 71713124723__A2CE70EE-8C32-40CA-B48C-30088C6133CB.jpeg
    71713124723__A2CE70EE-8C32-40CA-B48C-30088C6133CB.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1892.jpeg
    IMG_1892.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 7
Is there a way you can get some clear, well lit photos?

How did he lose the feathers, do you know?

Is he with the flock or have you separated him out?

Hard to see what's going on there. General care is to clean the area and any wounds with saline, Chlorhexidine, Povidone Iodine or similar antiseptic. Trim feathers and fluff away from the wounds so you can treat them more easily and they stay cleaner.
Once cleaned and trimmed, apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Do check him over for mites or lice. If he doesn't have external parasites, then I would not use Ivermectin.

Is there a way you can get some clear, well lit photos?

How did he lose the feathers, do you know?

Is he with the flock or have you separated him out?

Hard to see what's going on there. General care is to clean the area and any wounds with saline, Chlorhexidine, Povidone Iodine or similar antiseptic. Trim feathers and fluff away from the wounds so you can treat them more easily and they stay cleaner.
Once cleaned and trimmed, apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Do check him over for mites or lice. If he doesn't have external parasites, then I would not use Ivermectin.
I sprayed his tail with colloidal silver. He’s my largest chicken free ranging with a flock of 12 hens and another rooster that weighs 1 lbs less. I’ve seen sparring matches. Do you think the other rooster ripped out his tail feathers?

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1899.jpeg
    IMG_1899.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 5
I sprayed his tail with colloidal silver. He’s my largest chicken free ranging with a flock of 12 hens and another rooster that weighs 1 lbs less. I’ve seen sparring matches. Do you think the other rooster ripped out his tail feathers?
I am defaulting to mites because his coop is below a plum tree with wild birds. I don’t see any mites on him, but as a frizzle silkie, they would cause him to loose feathers. Ivermectin will also treat round worm, so it worth giving .1 cc.

To get the tail feathers ripped out like that, I would suspect something got after him like a Fox, Coyote or Dog. I don't think another rooster would be able to do that.

I'd continue to treat the wounds/scabs with ointment, keep the area clean.

Ivermectin will treat mites and perhaps roundworm. Here's dosing information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/post-19965544
There are cats and opossums that will roam my fence. The rooster, Earl, will sleep in the very back of the chicken run before I bring him in at night.I’ve found in the open run when his ladies are already in the coop at night. Earl can’t walk up the ladder, and I don’t want to leave him outdoors overnight. I really don’t know when it could’ve happened.

Ok I finally caved in after trying a fungal spray, colloidal silver, and ivermectin. I saw the vet yesterday to find out that while I didn’t injure my half naked rooster, I didn’t help him either. The culprit is the other smaller rooster sneaking up from behind with sniper attacks. She said if chicken little were the same size or larger that he would go for Earl’s face. Because chicken little is smaller he was attacking the tips of Earl’s wings and butt from behind and below. She also indicated that as long as chicken little doesn’t puncture Earl that I shouldn’t worry about fly strike. I left her with instructions for the roosters to free range separately and to keep the vent area clean. The vet said it would be a full year before Earl’s feathers will grow back in. Otherwise Earl is in great condition.

Back
Top Bottom