unsure about one of my ducks (molting, wet feather, preen glands)

gspinn

Hatching
Jan 16, 2024
Hey yall,

One (Indian runner) of my two ducks has begun molting and we're starting to see her quills and is no longer water proofing, swimming nor laying.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned or if this is part of a yearly process. The other duck (Welsh Harlequin) is not having any issues at all. still laying, swimming, preening.

They were both born in April and we live in Arizona, so the weather is relatively nice compared to where other ducks may live during the winter.

We usually feed them all flock but we had issues tracking down the all flock food and switched them to this

https://www.chewy.com/nutrena-natur...mvZBQb6uGsxHM8Kc5d90QaTpW_FqOoqBoCd-QQAvD_BwE

It seems like more issues arose when we switched food. could all of this be due to the food? or the change in weather?

I read a lot about them needing clean water to bathe....what is clean? we change out their pool water every other day. just two ducks, so not a huge mess. I have so many questions that are specific to my girls and I just want to do the best thing for them. it's hard to find the answer to my situation when everyone's situation is sightly different. any help is greatly appreciated

:welcome
Do not worry about your duck. I used to have a flock of 3. They usually do not lay much when they are molting. Do not worry too much, before you know she will be back in the pool and begin laying again

With the new food you will need to add niacin , you can use Nutritional yeast sprinkled into the food at 1 tbsp per cup of feed
The All Flock feed has more niacin but even with that I still add Nutritional yeast a couple times a week.
In hot weather I have 2 pools for my 12 ducks and change them every day. you are probably ok doing every other day with 3 ducks if its not too hot out,
Give a bucket of fresh water daily

Back
Top Bottom