Unusual,strange and weird places your hens have laid their eggs?

Hens having Fun

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2023
Sydney NSW Australia
My Coop
My Coop
With spring well and truly here in Australia, hens are going broody and want to hide their eggs. Despite have multiple layer boxes, I found my hens have laid in all sorts of strange places over the years. A few years back they have laid in a old empty glass fish tank stored in my shed.
Where is the strangest place your hens have laid? :p

Last edited:
Before extreme predator threats, and I let them free range…. I’d sometimes find them on the seat of my UTV (some on my sweater laying on the seat and some rolled into that space between the seat cushions). I also found a giant pile in an empty crate inside the barn. And, I found an egg stash in a space between the square hay bales in the top of the barn. I’m probably forgetting about other secret spots they used to lay them as well. 🙂

Last edited:
With winter well and truly almost hear in America, my hens, despite many choices of nesting box, prefer to lay their eggs all over outside so I have to spend more time out in the cold looking for them.
Probably the most unusual was in the unfinished part of the house past the obstacle course of tools and supplies, though they also like the woodshed and sheep pen. Some of my bantams also like to lay up in the rafters of the coop and those are always fun to get down.

Back
Top Bottom