Unwell Duck Need Advice

Dappy Duck

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2024
Hi, I've been taking care of our 1.5-year-old Saxony Duck Tilly. She went through two molts with her "sister" in the fall. Her feathers did not completely come in. She began losing weight, sitting by herself, and had a case when it was very cold and her feathers were not drying. All my girls are not really laying or laying very thin or soft eggs, mostly in the pool or in random areas of the yard. Tilly has visited the vet twice to rule out parasites and egg-bound issues. Since she was continuing to lose weight, the vet put her on a 14 day course of Augmentin and Meloxicam, we are halfway through the course with no real changes. Tilly eats, swims, and forages still. This morning, I found an injury to her neck, missing feathers, and some blood. I have a call into the vet for care advice. I've separated her from her sisters. Any advice here about what's going on would be appreciated. I have a photo attached. Thanks so much!

First photo is from this morning. The second shows the flock, Tilly is on the left, her sister is on the right. Before their molts you could not tell them apart.

Attachments

• IMG_6070.jpeg
    IMG_6070.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
That is so sad! Do you think the wound was from her sisters? Does she smell? Has there recently been any new additions, or anything that could stress her? My hen stopped laying and got very sick and thin bc we moved her to another coop. She was depressed, but when she was put back she became healthy again. Sounds just like what you have.
Your other hens who are giving soft eggs need calcium. Cottage cheese or eggshells are good.

could a "Sister" be a "Brother?" I had a duck I thought was female but turned out male. his name was Dean. shredded poor Sam's neck.

Thanks for reaching out. No smell, nothing new. I'm suspecting her sisters because of the location, she can't be doing this to herself. I'm wondering if they are picking on her because she is sickly? I've been adding calcium gluconate, but starting to add eggshells the cottage cheese is an excellent suggestion. I will bring some out to her this morning, maybe that will cheer her up.

Back
Top Bottom