Update, 9 months after first purchasing chicks

Mar 31, 2021
Hey BYC members if anyone has read any of my old posts this is an update 9 months after I originally purchased chicks. So if you remember my original flock was made up of 6 chickens, 4 Easter Eggers and 2 Golden Comets. Everything was going great and the girls were all laying eggs until Thanksgiving Day. My family and I left that day and we always left the chickens free ranging until we came home which is when I would close the door. So that night we came back and I went to close the coop door when I saw Chip my blonde Easter Egger on the floor with her neck cut off but still intact.:( I opened the coop door and inside 2 of my Easter Eggers (the biggest chickens of the flock) were inside huddled together uninjured. I immediately ran and told everybody and we searched for the other three chickens. I found the other three under our shed huddled in a corner. One, Kit our black Easter Egger, was dead and our two Golden Comets were in the back. Some friends came to help and they helped take out the Golden Comets from under the shed. One of the Golden Comets, the leader named Amber, had an injured leg and the other one Buttercup had dried blood around one side of her face and on the other side of her face her eye was closed. So that night we buried the dead chickens and I cleaned the other one's face the best I could do. They slept in the coop that night (although one slept in the nesting box) and the next day I moved them to our tub for healing. They stayed in there for 3 days and then we took them to an avian vet where they said Amber had a sot tissue injury and cleaned Buttercup's face correctly. They also removed some dead tissue from her eye and prescribed them antibiotics and eye ointment, for Buttercup, and painkillers, for Amber. They healed up and long story short they are doing pretty good outside now. Amber regained her role as head honcho of the flock(even though she still loses her balance) and Buttercup is doing better (though she's at the bottom of the pecking order and half blind). We currently have one chicken laying eggs which is Clover, the biggest chicken and second to last on the pecking order. The skin around Buttercup's eye is closing again so I will have to see what to do about that but currently the chickens are well and happy. Chicken maintenance is the same although there is less poop to clean up and my Omlet Eglu cube was never hard to clean in the first place. Since there are two chickens short my chickens have more room in the coop but for winter it's not such a good thing. I am also going to hopefully upgrade to a bigger run this year to ensure my chickens safety and so they have more room. So far our coop has worked perfectly and I could not be more pleased.:D In the 8 months we have had it, it doesn't have any problems and my chickens really love their coop. So thanks for reading and I'll see you soon!:)

:hugs sorry for your loss; it's very hard in the immediate aftermath of an attack. Thanks for this update: I'm very pleased to hear that the majority of the flock survived the attack and are enjoying their lives again, and that you are all happy with your coop.

Back
Top Bottom