Updated Duck house

newbie ducks

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
what I made for cookie doughs sister miss Oreo I gave her cookie doughs old house when the house when the sun comes around in the afternoon it gets so very hot under it. I can't plant anything over there in the corner because of the septic access & sprinkler is there. Did next best thing I can think of for them. I drilled bunch more holes around the top & bottom of it & used reflective flooring padding, 2 long paint sticks hold up the awning part & used hot gun glue to hold it all down. I tested it when she was gone it works much better. I capped off 2 of the sprinklers so they don't get soaked. she does likes it. when they will hatch the weather will be even hotter out if I need to I got a box fan I can plug in by her & help keep them bit cooler under it, but not to cool. so far as of today she got 5 eggs she not ready yet to sit on them full time. she drinks a little fresh water & ate a little bit of corn I leave out for her as a little treat before she leaves until the next morning. I talk to her when I see her. she knows my family & I are nice humans.

Attachments

• updated house oreo.jpg
    updated house oreo.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 41
what I made for cookie doughs sister miss Oreo I gave her cookie doughs old house when the house when the sun comes around in the afternoon it gets so very hot under it. I can't plant anything over there in the corner because of the septic access & sprinkler is there. Did next best thing I can think of for them. I drilled bunch more holes around the top & bottom of it & used reflective flooring padding, 2 long paint sticks hold up the awning part & used hot gun glue to hold it all down. I tested it when she was gone it works much better. I capped off 2 of the sprinklers so they don't get soaked. she does likes it. when they will hatch the weather will be even hotter out if I need to I got a box fan I can plug in by her & help keep them bit cooler under it, but not to cool. so far as of today she got 5 eggs she not ready yet to sit on them full time. she drinks a little fresh water & ate a little bit of corn I leave out for her as a little treat before she leaves until the next morning. I talk to her when I see her. she knows my family & I are nice humans.
that’s so sweet

She just might move in for good if you throw in internet service! :love

meet Paula she is Oreo & Cookie dough other sister from over at the pond & today there were 2 new eggs that makes 7. And yes when they are gone I write numbers on them to keep track of them & I wear gloves. not sure if she was babysitting them for a while when Oreo left to go do her thing. Or if she drop her own egg she had left maybe within 1/2 hour when I got back to the house. Paula was over a few times maybe about 3 weeks ago when cookie dough was here about to hatch her babies, but cookie dough told her no you can't have my box. Miss Oreo was here alone this morning in her box busy laying eggs around 7am. I can tell she twitch her head and she turn her head to lay it on her back when i asked her as if to say yes I'm busy now & turns her head to say I'm done. I go back inside to let her have privacy. Paula showed up about 1/2 hour later.

Attachments

• paula.jpg
    paula.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 7
She just might move in for good if you throw in internet service! :love
Yup they are sharing the nest silly Paula drop egg she got afraid of the little dog that was outside running around across street he run over here sometimes barking being all full of energy. after dog went inside after a few minutes. I was surprised for a wild duck miss Paula she let me gently push the egg with my finger into the nest while she inside there. Told her can't forget your baby it needs mama and when Paula left for a bit miss Oreo was sulking for a while because Paula was in the nest taking care of the eggs. and then Paula left for a bit. While she was gone Oreo was still sulking & I told Oreo to stop sulking go take care of the babies they need their mama and then she went inside the box.
Then Oreo left and Paula came back again now she in the box. lol.
Silly girls. It’s going to be a big storm today if she leaves, I cover the box leave the one side opened where the rain can't hit it with a thick blanket for air & protect eggs from rain & high winds.
well bright side if Oreo leaves any eggs behind that are still good maybe Paula will finish hatching them, she takes care of them. and if Paula leaves any behind any eggs, I check them then I know if I need to get incubator & brooder & make a coop out back for them. or maybe if they do hatch, I take them to the pond see if they will take them under their wings. never know with these silly ducks.

Attachments

• paula drop egg.jpg
    paula drop egg.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • oreo sulking.jpg
    oreo sulking.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
You have a full time job and your only payment is the joy of seeing these girls have a safe hatch. Your awesome!
thank you. pretty cool they understand what I say to them. oreo came back when we were gone & her box still had the cover on it, but then she came back when we got home I removed the cover told her grandma kept the babies safe from the storm & she okay to go inside of it now. she did go in to check on them & left. I see them in the morning. =)

Back
Top Bottom