urgent, blood in poop, lethargic and puffed up

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
One of my chickens died recently, and I couldn't figure out why. He had really bad seizures right before death, and it was very sudden, I didn't notice any symptoms beforehand. I have no idea if this is related but my two little silkies are starting to show symptoms of what I think is coccidiosis. My boy, Herb, has bloody diarrhea and he's a little lethargic and puffed up. I had a few chicks die from coccidiosis in the spring so I have corid, and I just dosed their water, half a teaspoon for the quart of water that they have. I also cleaned out their coop and pen and put down fresh shavings. But I'm worried I could be wrong about the coccidiosis, and Herb was my first and favorite chicken so I'm really worried. He's almost two, and coccidiosis usually only affects chicks, right? His companion, Kiwi, is a juvenile and I got her a month or two ago. Since she's younger, could she have developed the parasite and then passed it on to him? He seems much more affected, though I think her poops are a little bloody as well. Am I doing the right thing? Did I catch it early enough? Is that the right dose? Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

One of my chickens died recently, and I couldn't figure out why. He had really bad seizures right before death, and it was very sudden, I didn't notice any symptoms beforehand. I have no idea if this is related but my two little silkies are starting to show symptoms of what I think is coccidiosis. My boy, Herb, has bloody diarrhea and he's a little lethargic and puffed up. I had a few chicks die from coccidiosis in the spring so I have corid, and I just dosed their water, half a teaspoon for the quart of water that they have. I also cleaned out their coop and pen and put down fresh shavings. But I'm worried I could be wrong about the coccidiosis, and Herb was my first and favorite chicken so I'm really worried. He's almost two, and coccidiosis usually only affects chicks, right? His companion, Kiwi, is a juvenile and I got her a month or two ago. Since she's younger, could she have developed the parasite and then passed it on to him? He seems much more affected, though I think her poops are a little bloody as well. Am I doing the right thing? Did I catch it early enough? Is that the right dose? Any help or advice would be very appreciated.
Your dosage is correct.

Adults can develop coccidiosis when new strains of the protazoa are introduced into the environment. The new strains could have come from your new pullet.

I would drench both of them with 1/4 ml straight undiluted Corid once daily for three days in addition to the Corid water. Continue with the Corid water at the current dosage for 7-10 days, then drop the concentration in half and do another 7 days. Do not provide additional vitamin supplementation that contains thiamine during treatment as it will reduce the effectiveness of the Corid as amprolium (the active ingredient in Corid) is a thiamine inhibitor.
After treatment is over, offer a little buttermilk for a few days to help the gut heal from the infection. You can also provide probiotics after treatment as well.

Good luck and post back with a status.

Your dosage is correct.

Adults can develop coccidiosis when new strains of the protazoa are introduced into the environment. The new strains could have come from your new pullet.

I would drench both of them with 1/4 ml straight undiluted Corid once daily for three days in addition to the Corid water. Continue with the Corid water at the current dosage for 7-10 days, then drop the concentration in half and do another 7 days. Do not provide additional vitamin supplementation that contains thiamine during treatment as it will reduce the effectiveness of the Corid as amprolium (the active ingredient in Corid) is a thiamine inhibitor.
After treatment is over, offer a little buttermilk for a few days to help the gut heal from the infection. You can also provide probiotics after treatment as well.

Good luck and post back with a status.
drench meaning just give it to them directly in their mouth? thank you for the advice, I'll do that now and update how things go

Back
Top Bottom