urgent, EE hen puffed up and laying down, not moving

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
My little EE hen didn't get out of the coop this morning, and is puffed up and lethargic and not even standing up. She's not eating or drinking on her own, but when I dip her beak into her water she drinks so I've been doing that. I've had problems with coccidiosis in the past and she's housed adjacent to my two silkies that had it several months ago, likely from a new strain brought in from the silkie hen that I bought. They both recovered, but my other chickens hadn't had contact until recently when I finally decided to start introducing them. What I'm thinking is that because she hadn't been exposed to the new strain she could've gotten sick from it, so I started treatment for coccidiosis and I've isolated her inside. However the onset was so quick that I haven't been able to observe any other symptoms, from what I've seen she hasn't pooped so I can't confirm if she has bloody droppings or diarrhea. I'm worried it's something else, but I don't know what else has these symptoms. Could it be worms, or egg binding or something like that? I don't have immediate access to any feed stores because I live on an island and would have to go into town, so soonest I could get any other medications would be in a few days. I'll attach a picture of what she looks like, she's currently laying down and kind of squawking every now and then. I haven't given her any food because if it could be crop related I don't want to make it worse, should I try soaking some of her food? She's currently on layer if that's relevant. IMG_20210111_133348536.jpg

She just now started opening her mouth and kind of panting, it kind of looks like she's clucking but not making any sound, and her whole body is kind of moving as she does it like she's breathing kind of hard

She's still panting and closing her eyes and is even more stretched out then before, and she has some mucus or saliva or something coming out of her mouth. It seems like she's getting worse so I could really use some advice. She hasn't pooped all day, could she be egg bound?

I've given her a long warm bath and upon picking her up noticed that she has pooped, it was just stuck to her. Not sure where I would feel to see if she has an egg stuck, but given what I know about egg bound hens it seems like she isn't. Not sure where to feel for her crop either but it seems like it's completely empty, so I'm guessing it's not crop-related. I'll try to give her some food and see how things go I guess.

Back
Top Bottom