URGENT PLEASE HELP CHICKENS EYE IS BLOODY BUT RESPONSIVE

Abby_

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2021
My hen was sitting in the same spot for the longest time with her head in her wing. Her eye is bloody yet responsive. Please help me I don't know what to do!

Pictures are useful...

What do you have on hand? I'd bring her inside and try to rinse the eye with an eye wash if you have one or just sterile saline solution (you can boil salt water if you need). She'll need to be kept separate in a quiet, clean place while her eye (hopefully) heals. Besides supportive care, keeping the eye clean and making sure she eats and drinks, I don't think there is much you can do. Hope she's okay...

20221219_153754.jpg

Do you think she was attacked by the others? Is she low in pecking order? If a Walmart or pharmacy is available, they sell Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief eyewash for around $4. Use that or saline to flush the eye 2-3 times daily. The use plain Neosporin ointment in the eye after flushing the eye. Keep her separated in a dog crate with food/water, but it can be with the others in the coop.

Agree about separating & rinsing out the eye area with saline solution, supportive care. Looks to have been pecked but I could be wrong. Check the area for protruding wire or what she could have been hurt with.
Terimycin ointment or Neosporin (without the pain relief) or Triple Antibiotic could be applied ... Main thing is keeping it clean & allow healing ... Just my option of treatment but lets get some experienced members involved. Oops @Eggcessive is involved :bow

Tyank you so much for your help. She is low on the pecking order the lowest in fact. All other chickens seem to be fine.

I would onserve your flock’s behavior and see if one hen is being aggressive toward others. I would separate a bully out of the flock for days to lower her position. I have had to rehome a bully, and put down a young cockerel who scalped a docile hen. Let us know how her eye looks after some treatment.

Looks like she got pecked badly, but from what I can see in the picture it looks like her eyeball is fine, which would be great news. Chickens are surprisingly tough in some ways and I've seen them recover from much worse injuries... Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom