Using a automatic cat feeder to feed chickens

alix321

Chirping
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle
Any of you ever think "Why am i here" or "am i ever going to contribute anything to this world" or even "will I be remembered for anything after i gone?"
Well those questions have now been answered for me! Behold my GENIUS!

I have had chickens for about 4 years now and over the last year I have been in constant pitched battles in the never ending war with Rats! I know, i know... i've heard all of the suggestions... Get a treadle feeder, don't leave food out at night, or even wake up in the morning and feed them only as much as they will eat in a sitting.

They hate the treadle, I'm lazy and forgetful to pick up the food at night, and there is no way I'm waking up any earlier than i already do in the morning to feed them.

Soooo, i have made a timed automatic rat un-friendly chicken feeder that i am sure will change lives for those of you who love chickens, work early, and are lazy.

I took a metal garbage can. Cut a hole in the bottom just big enough to shove a metal gutter in, added a battery powered automatic cat feeder, and tahda! I plan on installing a light bulb to keep warm in winter and some charcoal to keep any moisture to a minimum.

Check it out!
Let me know what you think. Lets hope it lasts through the winter! i wish i knew how to add a video.

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

61447350688__15B60C86-7014-4499-B8D8-A96B3E19EA04 2.jpeg

Attachments

• 61447350688__15B60C86-7014-4499-B8D8-A96B3E19EA04 2.jpeg
    61447350688__15B60C86-7014-4499-B8D8-A96B3E19EA04 2.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 20
We have a feeder very similar inside for our brats, I mean cats! I would make sure you check/clean out the inside of the machine at least once a month. On ours, food can fall off of the small conveyor belt that's inside and get stuck on the bottom of the machine.

We have a feeder very similar inside for our brats, I mean cats! I would make sure you check/clean out the inside of the machine at least once a month. On ours, food can fall off of the small conveyor belt that's inside and get stuck on the bottom of the machine.
Thanks! Good to know.

:eek::bowDetails please on the construction. It looks easy but ya never know. :idunno
It was easy! My husband took a dremmil multi tool with a 1” cut off wheel to cut the gutter sized hole in the bottom of a 20 gallon metal garbage can. The hole was cut as close to the side of the can as possible. The gutter piece needs to be long enough to fit right up under the feed opening for the cat feeder and still stick out the bottom of the can. Used a hack saw to cut the gutter. The gutters are 3”. I used foam to hold the cat feeder in place inside the can. You do need to fiddle around a little to make sure the gutter is right under the cat feeder opening and stays there so you don’t have food spilling inside of the can. I used just some 1/4” mesh folded over the end of the gutter and screwed it down tight.

Back
Top Bottom