Using Coco coir for chickens dust Bath

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hey ya’ll. My chickens are about 10 weeks old. I dont normally see them dust bathe. I used a container and some used coco coir that I had left over from a project. They love it! They yell at each other to get in it. My question, do you think this is ok for them to dust bathe in,
Also, what is the common age for chickens to molt for the first time?
Thanks!
🐥❤️

coco coir is likely fine. it would basically be the equivalent of most mulch materials since it’s just coconut husk.

I don’t see it being the equivalent of actual dirt though, since my understanding is it’s the dry mineral dust that animals are seeking to get under their feathers, since it soaks up oils, is abrasive to remove things like parasites, etc etc

coco coir is likely fine. it would basically be the equivalent of most mulch materials since it’s just coconut husk.

I don’t see it being the equivalent of actual dirt though, since my understanding is it’s the dry mineral dust that animals are seeking to get under their feathers, since it soaks up oils, is abrasive to remove things like parasites, etc etc
Perkolator, thats the exact thing I was wondering. I do have a tote filled with dirt as well, but, they dont use it to dust bathe 🤷🏼‍♀️
still figuring this whole chicken thing out!
🐥❤️

Perkolator, thats the exact thing I was wondering. I do have a tote filled with dirt as well, but, they dont use it to dust bathe 🤷🏼‍♀️
still figuring this whole chicken thing out!
🐥❤️

I don't know how anyone ever gets them to dust bathe in a specific place.

Mine dig holes in places that seem random to my mere human brain. I have no idea what they're after when they dig in one place rather than another and then dig in a completely different spot next week.

One evening recently when I was sitting in the run supervising the integration of the chicks one of the adult hens decided that between my feet was the PERFECT spot for a new dustbath.

I don't know how anyone ever gets them to dust bathe in a specific place.

Mine dig holes in places that seem random to my mere human brain. I have no idea what they're after when they dig in one place rather than another and then dig in a completely different spot next week.

One evening recently when I was sitting in the run supervising the integration of the chicks one of the adult hens decided that between my feet was the PERFECT spot for a new dustbath.
My chicks won't dustbathe except between my feet, until they're about 5-6 weeks old. Maybe they feel safe with you guarding them? It's almost like they get into a trance.

I have a reliable place that they go to, next to the garage. It's shaded, and the ground is normally dry. They have several holes, and choose among those daily. They don't often dig new holes.

@My Very First 6 Chickens , is the dirt free of debris, like rocks, leaves, and sticks? They seem to gravitate towards fine, dry dirt for their baths.

I do have a tote filled with dirt as well, but, they dont use it to dust bathe
Add some sandy dirt to the coir.

Also, what is the common age for chickens to molt for the first time?
Chickens molt and grow a new set of feathers 2-3 times before around 6 months of age, those are called the juvenile molts.
Some pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Most birds will have their first full adult molt their second fall/winter.

My chicks won't dustbathe except between my feet, until they're about 5-6 weeks old. Maybe they feel safe with you guarding them? It's almost like they get into a trance.

I have a reliable place that they go to, next to the garage. It's shaded, and the ground is normally dry. They have several holes, and choose among those daily. They don't often dig new holes.

@My Very First 6 Chickens , is the dirt free of debris, like rocks, leaves, and sticks? They seem to gravitate towards fine, dry dirt for their baths.
Add some sandy dirt to the coir.

Chickens molt and grow a new set of feathers 2-3 times before around 6 months of age, those are called the juvenile molts.
Some pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Most birds will have their first full adult molt their second fall/winter.
aart, I did exactly that! First I put all the coco into a long sled in their run for a couple days and they have been bathing in it. My instincts told me that they need the minerals from the dirt so I've been adding sifted dirt from the yard for the past 2 days. No rocks, sticks or anything else in there. fingers crossed. I'm no longer concerned, rather curious because these are my first chickens so everything is so new to me and I am a nervous nelly to begin with, lol. Once again I appreciate you and all the other seasoned pros out there. Your advice is so valuable to me. I spend a lot of time with them and it would devastate me if I was doing something to cause them harm. They have been with me since 05/3/21 and I am amazed how really resilient they are. 🐥 ❤️

Back
Top Bottom