Vaulted skulls in silkies?

What's a vaulted skull?

A chicken skull with a hole or a bulge at the top. It is found in some chickens with crests of feathers on their heads.

It tends to either have a hole in the top, or be thinner on top. So it does not protect the chicken's brain as well as a normal skull does.

Some chickens with vaulted skulls do just fine, but some die or have brain trouble from hitting their head on the coop, or from being pecked by another chicken. I think most probably do fine, because otherwise they would have all died by now :)

Is this vaulted skull? This chick is DEAD.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 7
I bred silkies and polish both for several years, and some would have vaulted skulls and some would not. I didn't think to try and breed one way or the other, as I never had any problem with it. Some people might have, but nothing bad ever came of it for me. The ones with the vaulted skulls actually usually ended up being female :confused:
All that being said, in my experience, I don't think it's an issue. But don't take my word for it:oops:

It looks like, but also like it formed wrong. It's bald a looks sort of lumpy, which is not typical. Sorry about the chick:(
It hat two lumps on his head. I should of took a pic when he was steal wet. I thought his skull did not form right, so be for he hatched i thought his brains were out, but we're not. His mom squashed him and some other chicks. But it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom