Vent-bitting duck

Keikuri

Chirping
Jun 1, 2019
Connecticut
I got a duck biting the vents of the other girls. She waits until they’re being mounted to run over and bite the inner tissues. Sometimes she’ll come up behind an unsuspecting girl and goose her. I thought maybe she was doing it due to stress or boredom from being inside more often during winter, so i’ve been crating her when they’re in the coop so she cant bite them all night. But now that it’s nice out and she can run all around, she’s still biting the other girls any chance she can get. She’ll run across the lawn just to bite a girl being mounted. She’s managed to hurt their vents and cause bleeding.

Is there anything i can do besides continuing to separate? The only suggestions i’ve gotten so far was kill, rehome, or rub everyone’s vents in something foul tasting. I really dont wanna have to get rid of her.

I got a duck biting the vents of the other girls. She waits until they’re being mounted to run over and bite the inner tissues. Sometimes she’ll come up behind an unsuspecting girl and goose her. I thought maybe she was doing it due to stress or boredom from being inside more often during winter, so i’ve been crating her when they’re in the coop so she cant bite them all night. But now that it’s nice out and she can run all around, she’s still biting the other girls any chance she can get. She’ll run across the lawn just to bite a girl being mounted. She’s managed to hurt their vents and cause bleeding.

Is there anything i can do besides continuing to separate? The only suggestions i’ve gotten so far was kill, rehome, or rub everyone’s vents in something foul tasting. I really dont wanna have to get rid of her.
My wife does this when I look at another woman.

I have a dominant girl that attacks the other girls when they are being mounted by my drake. I guess there can be situations where one girl considers herself the drakes main girl and can get aggressive with the others. It sounds like shes causing injuries so should probably be separated. I wonder if adding another drake (as long as it doesnt mess with your m/f ratio) would help.

I have a dominant girl that attacks the other girls when they are being mounted by my drake. I guess there can be situations where one girl considers herself the drakes main girl and can get aggressive with the others. It sounds like shes causing injuries so should probably be separated. I wonder if adding another drake (as long as it doesnt mess with your m/f ratio) would help.
Thanks. I definitely plan on keeping her separated. She’s neither a dominant duck nor her father’s favorite (Runner daddy strongly prefers Runner mama). I dont think this is about her wanting her dad’s attention. When she first started this i had 4 drakes living with the girls, she does it regardless of who was being mounted by who, including when the girls mount each other.

I caught her Blue sister biting a girl this morning. I guess she’s been doing it too but not nearly as often as the crazy Silver one. Can this behavior spread through all the girls? Or could it be some sorta bad genetic thing since their parents are (potentially) siblings?

I would think that if you removed the silver girl, the blue one might be next in line in the peking order, so shes taking over??? Is she biting vents too or just biting in general? If shes biting in general then maybe shes doing this to remind the others that shes boss.

I am super jealous that you have a silver runner even if shes crazy 😂 they are beautiful!

I would think that if you removed the silver girl, the blue one might be next in line in the peking order, so shes taking over??? Is she biting vents too or just biting in general? If shes biting in general then maybe shes doing this to remind the others that shes boss.

I am super jealous that you have a silver runner even if shes crazy 😂 they are beautiful!
Sorry! I got distracted and forgot to come back to respond. Thanks! She’s a very pretty duck. And super crazy. A buncho wild geese came by to hang out, first time she ever saw them she had to go running and zigzagging through the entire group XD

Just vent biting. Both Runner daughters are fairly low in the pecking order so they wouldnt dare try biting the other girls in-general. The head girl is my biggest bossiest Pekin.

We are having a similar problem with one of our female ducks. She seems to be pecking the vent of another particular female duck.

Someone mentioned rubbing the vent with something that would deter the other duck. Any suggestions?

I’ve just run into this issue from a drake doing it while another drake mounts, did you find a solution other than separating, I can’t have him injuring my females which I think he has done to one but it’s only just clicked that it was probably him. It’s not even been a year since I hatched him and out of the boys the other ones seem to know how to mount but this one doesn’t seem to mount any, just biting

Back
Top Bottom