Verified weasel in run

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have a weasel in the chicken run. The chickens are inside when we've seen the weasel and the coop is completely wrapped in 1/4" hardware cloth including Windows and vents. The run on the other hand is in cattle wire and a hardware cloth apron, but the weasel easily gets in. I made a 110 conibear box trap, and a smaller rat trap box and filled with chicken liver, salmon oil, and some dead mice and 2 nights he couldn't care less about them.

My working theory is hes getting into the run hunting the mice, but I'd feel a lot better if I could catch him. I don't think predator proofing the run run is an option based on the layout, so I'm closing up the coop earlier at night and opening it up a bit later in the morning using the timed door.

Any trapping tips or other? My fear is once he runs out of mice it'll be game over for the chickens.

I have a weasel in the chicken run. The chickens are inside when we've seen the weasel and the coop is completely wrapped in 1/4" hardware cloth including Windows and vents. The run on the other hand is in cattle wire and a hardware cloth apron, but the weasel easily gets in. I made a 110 conibear box trap, and a smaller rat trap box and filled with chicken liver, salmon oil, and some dead mice and 2 nights he couldn't care less about them.

My working theory is hes getting into the run hunting the mice, but I'd feel a lot better if I could catch him. I don't think predator proofing the run run is an option based on the layout, so I'm closing up the coop earlier at night and opening it up a bit later in the morning using the timed door.

Any trapping tips or other? My fear is once he runs out of mice it'll be game over for the chickens.
Did you have luck catching the weasel? What did you use l? I've caught a baby weasel in the coop two days ago and set up a blackhole trap with a tiny bit of raw meat. Since then the meat is gone everyday but the trap doesn't set off. Looking for ideas. .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom