Very sad news.

corviidae

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
Astoria, OR
My Coop
My Coop
I have a feeling this is my fault, and I feel very guilty and I miss him.

Several months ago in April, the breeders of our Sebastopol gander helped us find a new home for him because we couldn’t keep two ganders- their fighting got vicious and they both (the Sebastopol sooner than our other gander) became a liability to our neighbors. we had to make a hard choice and rehome one of them. Our Toulouse ended up being more of a jerk literally weeks after we rehomed the Sebastopol, but that’s a different story altogether that we white-knuckled until Spring was over.

The new owner who picked him up was new to geese, but his wife wasnt. Fast forward a couple days after they got him and he apparently wandered off and decided to live with their neighbors flock of geese. Okay. As long as he’s happy and they keep us in touch. I still care about him. Deeply.

Then, suddenly, no word for months. No pics as we requested. I asked how he was doing a couple weeks ago and a few days later they told us that he straight up disappeared and that the neighbors hadn’t seen him for weeks.

I asked them if there was evidence of a predator attack and cautioned that it may be a good idea to check around since in our area it’s illegal for domestic waterfowl to be wandering around, and I guess they took it personally, thought I accused them of eating him or committing a crime and they ghosted me. I imagine because they felt bad and maybe I miswrote or used a wrong term or something since it was over text, but they never answered me when I clarified.

I’m absolutely devastated.

I was new to rehoming an animal and I trusted the breeder when they helped us line up a new home, and this was a very harsh lesson. Now it’s glaringly obvious they weren’t prepared for a goose. I feel like a horrible goose parent. Im so worried for him, but he’s no longer “in my care” and Im just…so devastated. My partner won’t seem to talk about it much. He was her baby. I don’t know how to deal with this. I’m going to do better, but has anyone had this sort of thing happen? Do mistakes like this happen often?

Last edited:
I am very sorry about your gander. You are not a bad goose parent. You didn't allow the fighting to continue, you didn't just release him, you didn't kill him, you tried to find a suitable home.

Although I'm sure it's hard not to feel guilty, you did your best to make the situation better. You worked with the breeder, who likely also thought the goose would be going to a good home.

The new owners may or may not have taken the best possible care of your boy. But even with the best of intentions, he may have just responded to the "call of the wild" and sought out his own kind at their neighbors' flock. Predation happens even when an owner does everything right.

Had you kept him, your ganders could have done serious damage to each other. Last year, I had to rehome a beautiful booted Bantam rooster because he was attacking me and a smaller, more docile rooster. It's gut wrenching for me to have to rehome anybody -- and, BTW, the smaller roo, much like your Touslouse, became a problem himself. He's good with his hens, but I constantly have to keep an eye on his whereabouts to make sure he's not coming for me.

Don't beat yourself up too much, please. Take care.

Last edited:
I second what @Callender Girl said You put your trust in the breeder that your gander was going to a good home that all you could have done. I had to find a new home for 2 geese here becasue 4 of them were acting like a gang of thugs, ganging up on my chickens and ducks. We actually went to these peoples home to see their arrangements with their ducks and chickens before we took the geese there. After we took the geese I texted them many times asking how everyone was doing. Not a word. I can only hope it worked out.
I still miss them and it's been 5yrs. But we have to also think of how to keep our own flock safe and fighting geese or ganging up on others isn't going to make for a happy flock.

I’m so sorry! It really isn’t your fault, and you did what you felt was right, sometimes this works out, sometimes it doesn’t, but you have no way of knowing, you couldn’t have predicted what happened.

The people you entrusted him with, it may have been an accident, he would have wanted to be with the other geese rather than be alone, so I don’t doubt that he chose the other flock for his own happiness. With pasture geese unfortunatly it’s impossible to ensure absolute safety so sadly the worst did happen, but at least he was happy for a time within a big flock.

You couldn’t have changed what happened, it isn’t your fault.

I have a feeling this is my fault, and I feel very guilty and I miss him.

Several months ago in April, the breeders of our Sebastopol gander helped us find a new home for him because we couldn’t keep two ganders- their fighting got vicious and they both (the Sebastopol sooner than our other gander) became a liability to our neighbors. we had to make a hard choice and rehome one of them. Our Toulouse ended up being more of a jerk literally weeks after we rehomed the Sebastopol, but that’s a different story altogether that we white-knuckled until Spring was over.

The new owner who picked him up was new to geese, but his wife wasnt. Fast forward a couple days after they got him and he apparently wandered off and decided to live with their neighbors flock of geese. Okay. As long as he’s happy and they keep us in touch. I still care about him. Deeply.

Then, suddenly, no word for months. No pics as we requested. I asked how he was doing a couple weeks ago and a few days later they told us that he straight up disappeared and that the neighbors hadn’t seen him for weeks.

I asked them if there was evidence of a predator attack and cautioned that it may be a good idea to check around since in our area it’s illegal for domestic waterfowl to be wandering around, and I guess they took it personally, thought I accused them of eating him or committing a crime and they ghosted me. I imagine because they felt bad and maybe I miswrote or used a wrong term or something since it was over text, but they never answered me when I clarified.

I’m absolutely devastated.

I was new to rehoming an animal and I trusted the breeder when they helped us line up a new home, and this was a very harsh lesson. Now it’s glaringly obvious they weren’t prepared for a goose. I feel like a horrible goose parent. Im so worried for him, but he’s no longer “in my care” and Im just…so devastated. My partner won’t seem to talk about it much. He was her baby. I don’t know how to deal with this. I’m going to do better, but has anyone had this sort of thing happen? Do mistakes like this happen often?
My heart breaks for you. I know that a goose can be a best friend🥰 and you shouldn’t have to go through this. We are sending ducky kisses and feather ruffles your way along with prayers 🙏

I'm sorry. This stinks. Are you still in contact with the breeder. Maybe they can reach out and you all can form a little goose searching task force to locate him. I'm sure cooler heads will prevail. Maybe the middle man (breeder) can get communication opened back up.

It's absolutely not your fault but that makes it no less devastating. Sending you hugs 🫂

Back
Top Bottom