Very sick Hen with maggots

Ssan

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2021
Hello,
Our 3yr old hen was acting strange yesterday evening. She was not eating and was just sitting in the coop. We took her out to inspect her and read that she may be eggbound so we tried soaking her in epsom salt and saline solution. We left her there for a few mins and noticed a maggot in the water so we inspected her some more and that's when we saw a black wound below her anus. Five more maggots came out, we took her out of the bath water and let her walk around a bit and soaked her in fresh water with the saline solution for 20 mins but no more maggots were found. She is now resting. Her eyelids also seem to be cloudy when she sleeps and is also twitching a bit. Can someone please advise as to what i should do next? I am planning to isolate her from our other two hens tonight. I should also mention that we are hand feeding her water from a syringe every hour. I attached a photo of her.

Attachments

• Daisy.jpg
    Daisy.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 111
You need to keep checking for maggots, they can continue to hatch from eggs that were laid. You need to check several times a day, for at least several days to a week, and remove all you can find. You can flush the wound or soak, some find soaking can drive the maggots in as they try to escape the water. Tweezers are a good way to get them off. Apply a plain triple antibiotic ointment or plain neosporin between times. If none of them reach her abdominal cavity she has a chance to recover. Not only do the maggots feed on the live chicken, they leave a toxin behind that will poison her. This is life threatening and you need to be vigilant in order for her to have a chance.
Another article:
https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/flystrike-a-chicken-killer-cuddles-beats-the-odds-again/

Back
Top Bottom