Very sick hen!

Wrenne

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
My 3.5 year old hen and a survivor of Mareks is not well. She is normally my best egg layer with the largest egg. These are often so large she strains and then needs assistance with prolapse. Usually a warm bath and olive oil to assist with proper placement. However, she has layed two soft shelled eggs, one Shell-less egg and one very bloody yolk only egg. She is always outside all day, but now she is sitting at the waterfeeder inside. When she drinks, she raises her neck and then continues to drink. She is resting on the perch, but I fear she is sicker than she looks.

Attachments

• PSX_20210921_144127.jpg
    PSX_20210921_144127.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 7
It sounds like she is experiencing a reproductive disorder. You could try giving her a human calcium tablet or Tums orally for several days to see if her egg shell harden and make it easier to lay. Some will try antibiotics such as amoxicillin (aqua mox available online for fish) to see if it helps in case of infection. Dosage is 125-250 mg daily for 7-10 days. If a vet is available that treats chickens, that might be best.

It sounds like she is experiencing a reproductive disorder. You could try giving her a human calcium tablet or Tums orally for several days to see if her egg shell harden and make it easier to lay. Some will try antibiotics such as amoxicillin (aqua mox available online for fish) to see if it helps in case of infection. Dosage is 125-250 mg daily for 7-10 days. If a vet is available that treats chickens, that might be best.
I have calcium chips that they can get anytime they want. It is in a raised bowl. I buy it by the 50lb bag. I do treat them twice yearly for worms using fenbendazole. They are isolated from the yard by a walk-in fenced and screened area. That way no predators in - but also keeps wild birds out. They are on play sand with gravel and drainage piping underneath. The top inch of sand is raked daily and sieved. I don't know what could infect her. The chickens are all very healthy looking. I was not concerned so much with the soft eggs as I was with the bloody shell-less yolk and that she was perching in the coop all day. Are Tums better than the calcium chips? I have them. The only vet around here that will treat chickens is the horse vet. When my first hen went broody, I thought something was wrong with her as she could not walk correctly. We took her there. An hour later and this horrible massive stink in the horse barn surgery she was good as new. The vet however didn't know why she was better.

I tried the Tums. She wouldn't take the little pieces I put blueberries on and she loves blueberries. She layed another shell-less egg and then came out of the hen house for the first time in three days. She layed a small.egg with shell.

The calcium tablet or Tums for several days gives a full dose to try an determine if the shell gland is not working, or if there is a calcium deficiency. They may not take enough of the crushed ouster shell. The egg shell problems can also be a sign of salpingitis, stress, injury, or other oviduct issues.

Back
Top Bottom